Connections lead to a bright future

London Rivers, Courier Staff

College is one of the many useful places when it comes to networking and finding connections. However, it’s important to be smart about those you meet and maintain connections with while you’re here.

College is indeed an institution that can make a great impact not only on your future but also in your everyday life. The people we meet and associate with every day can have great impact on us, and while this is what makes college practical it can also bring challenges forus as well.

Growing up, I was often told, “Bad associations spoil useful habits,” and I didn’t quite understand the meaning of this until I got older. While it’s okay to have many associates it’s also important and almost crucial to decipher those you call your friends, and those who are to be placed under mere association. The decisions that we make even during our freshmen year, whether they’re good or bad, will follow us as we continue our college experience. So, keep on the watch for whom you invite into your circle now so that they don’t become detrimental to you later on.

Upon coming to college, I was often told about these great experiences and people that I was going to meet once I came to Western. My family would tell me how the people that I would meet in college could become my lifetime friends. However, they failed to mention or add the possibility of making lifetime friendships rather than the guarantee of them, because they’re not guaranteed to last. So, when my sister told me that the friends that I would start high school with were not going to be the friends that I left high school with, it was clear that it also applied in college as well. So, eventually things started to make a bit more sense.

Now, I’m not saying that all association is bad association because I can attest to the positive people and connections that I have made in college. Even those I no longer associate myself with anymore will still be remembered for the good vibes and great times that they were able to bring into my life. It’s important for us to cherish moments that once impacted our lives in a good way, and to learn from the bad ones. I will forever be grateful for the people who have and continue to send comforting and supportive energy my way especially during college, because each day can seem more worrisome than the last.

An associate can be defined as someone you meet at work or in a working environment, but a friend is someone you share a mutual respect, understanding and affection for. As we reach adulthood it’s important to know the difference and understand the meaning of the word. One-sided association can be toxic if not noticed soon enough. At some point we’re going to have to leave this place. I don’t know about you, but I plan to leave with the confidence to succeed. Our talents and skills are what will get us through the door, but by having good associations that will not only help us but support us, is what will help keep us there.