CFFA hosts Greenhand Conference

Western Illinois University hosted 33 high schools in Macomb for the CFFA Greenhand Conference.

University Relations

Sept. 6, Western Illinois University hosted the 2018 Greenhand Conference at Macomb High School. Students from 33 high schools came to Macomb to participate in the event sponsored by the University’s Collegiate FFA (CFFA) chapter.

The purpose of this year’s event was to introduce and educate high school students about the opportunities they have through the FFA Organization.

The event served as a motivational conference for the first-year FFA members in the surrounding region. Adopted from the Illinois FFA Convention, this year’s theme was, “Be Bold.”

During the conference students interacted with members of the CFFA/AgEd/PAS club at Western and with Illinois FFA State Officers in addition to Section 11 FFA officers. With these individuals, students went to three workshops to learn more about supervised agricultural experiences, career development and FFA general information.

“We revamped the conference this year and focused on the student’s preferences from previous years,” Morgan Lemley, CFFA/AgEd/PAS president and a WIU senior agriculture education major from Monmouth said in an interview with University Relations. “It was our goal to leave students enthusiastic and excited to get involved in the national

FFA organization.”

The Greenhand Conference has been the host for high school students in this area for several years now. Formerly known as Future Farmers of America, the organization provides leadership, personal growth and career success training through AgEd.

Today there are more than 650,000 FFA members ranging from seventh graders to high school seniors. In addition, there are more than 8,500 chapters located throughout the United States, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. This year’s event sponsors are Hart’s Nursery, Rabo Finance, Illinois Farm Bureau and Fulton Farm Services.