Women’s soccer settles for draw

Emily Bollman prepares to settle the ball.

BETTENDORF, Iowa. – The Western Illinois women’s soccer team had two games this past weekend. Their first game on Friday when they faced the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and lost 3-1. Their second game was on Sunday where they tied with Ball State University 1-1. The Leathernecks move to 1-4-1 on the season.

The games were originally supposed to be played at home on John Mackenzie Alumni Field but were moved to the TBK Bank Sports Complex in Iowa. On Friday, Western fell just 19 minutes into the match after freshman forward Haley Johnson scored off of a corner kick from senior defender Erin Corrigan.

Immediately following Milwaukee’s goal, junior forward Emily Bollman had the equalizer. Bollman dribbled the ball into the box and the ball found the back-left corner of the net. It was the first goal that the Panthers allowed this season.

The 1-1 score line remained the same until the 60th minute marker where freshman midfielder Jelena Sever scored off a corner from Corrigan. Sever found another goal off of a long pass from sophomore defender Gaby Schwartz. This final goal allowed the Panthers to capture the 3-1 lead.

Sunday’s match ended in a draw after playing through two overtimes totaling 110 minutes of play time. The Purple and Gold scored early in the match after freshman forward Amy Andrews found Bollman who finished the ball in the back of the net.

“The best we’ve played on a Sunday after a Friday match,” Director of Soccer Dr. Eric Johnson said. “Our effort and defensive intensity was consistent all game. This is a good result for us against a quality team.”

In the 21st minute, Andrews nearly had a goal of her own, but it found the hands of the Ball State keeper. Junior goalkeeper Ines Palmiero Herrera had two saves for the Leathernecks in the first half.

Two minutes into the second half, the Cardinals found the equalizer putting the score at 1-1. Andrews had a shot in the 85th minute, which was saved by the goalie keeping the game tied in regulation play.

The two 10-minute overtime periods remained scoreless and the Leathernecks received their first draw of the season. Bollman currently leads the Leathernecks in goals at three. Following her is junior forward Bianca Romay with one goal on the season.

Coming up for the Purple and Gold is another two game weekend series on the road. On Friday, the Leathernecks will face Chicago State University and on Sunday, Drake University.

In the 2017 season, Western defeated Chicago State 9-1. Bollman and Romay both had two goals and one assist in the match. Drake, however, beat Western last year 2-1. In that game, Romay found the only goal for the Leathernecks.

twitter: hayfourrr