Amtrak announces Thanksgiving Break Sale

Emily Boyer, Courier Staff

Amtrak is in the middle of a major sale that the passenger rail service is calling “too good to ignore.” Currently, Amtrak is selling train tickets for up to 30 percent off for college students.

The sale price is automatically applied on all train tickets purchased through Amtrak’s website only until the end of the day Thursday. Travel dates must be between Oct. 1, 2018, and Jan. 31, 2019.

This sale is a good opportunity for anyone planning to take the train from Macomb to Chicago and back during WIU’s upcoming holiday breaks.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Amtrak was selling tickets between Macomb and Chicago for as little as $15.40 each way during Western’s Thanksgiving break as well as during winter break.

Prices are not likely to go lower than this. Macomb is one of the top 10 busiest Amtrak stations in Illinois. According to Amtrak, ridership in Macomb was 65,759 in 2017. That’s down slightly from 66,874 in 2016.

Across the state, Amtrak ridership was up to 4.7-million in 2017 from 4.5-million in 2016. The bulk of that traffic came through Chicago, which recorded ridership of 3,321,201 in 2017.

Most of the other communities on the top 10 list of business Amtrak stations are also college communities including Normal, Springfield, Champaign, Carbondale and Galesburg.

To take advantage of the discount, tickets must be purchased online through Amtrak.com. Once you arrive at the site, click on the deal tab at the top which will lead you to the student promotional page: https:// www.amtrak.com/students-save-30-percent?cmp=wsp- StudentFlashSale-Deals.

From there, plug in your destination and date of travel and then click on find trains. Underneath the listed price of the seat should appear the words “promo applied.” If not, check to make sure you’re not on the main ticketing page versus the special sales page for college students.