Soccer captures first win

Tim Trilk about to strike the ball on a goal kick.

Michael Harms, Courier Staff

Bettendorf, Iowa. — Western Illinois University battled University of Dayton, Ohio over the weekend and found the win column with a 1-0 victory. The first win for the Leathernecks puts them at an overall record of 1-3-1 as the Flyers fall to 2-1-2.

The games were scheduled to be played in Macomb, but the non-stop downpour forced the game to be relocated to the TBK Bank Sports Complex in the quad cities. The last-minute change did not faze the Leathernecks as they snuck away with the win.

The game started off on a low note as early in the third minute senior defender Angelo Amato recorded a yellow card on a hard foul. This already put the backline in danger, but they stayed strong throughout the game. The first scare of the game came from a header attempt, but goalkeeper Tim Trilk made a fantastic save to keep the game scoreless in the first half.

Trilk had struggled in the previous matchups but looked determined to improve his form and dominate this game. The half continued by the Western offense shooting a couple more shots toward goal. Neither of them was on target, and the two teams looked to the second half to break away.

The second half sparked a dangerous offense for the flyers as they looked desperate to score a goal. In the 46th minute a header shot off of a corner challenged Trilk, but he batted it away keeping his shutout in reach.

They kept the pace up recording five shots by the 70th minute, but unable to find the back of the net. Meanwhile, the Leathernecks stayed calm and composed finding their offense in a groove and taking advantage of the chances when needed.

In the 70th minute however Western broke through the backline and nearly had a chance, but a poor tackle by the Flyers defensive backs earned the leathernecks a penalty kick attempt.

Senior midfielder Daniel Kadima put the ball down on the spot eyeing a goal against junior goalkeeper Federico Barrios. He took the shot strong, but Barrios blocked it out, meanwhile the rebound was loose and found the foot of, Kadima who then found the back of the net while Barrios recovered from the penalty kick.

The first goal of the match may not have been the most exciting or skillfull goals of the season, but got the job done for the Leathernecks. Dayton was not done testing the strength of the Purple and Gold’s backline continually attacking non-stop for the remainder of the game.

They recorded a total of 10 shots in the second half alone. However, it was not enough for the Flyers to even up the score and the Leathernecks racked up their first win of the season.

“We worked really hard today and played more intelligently defensively to earn a shutout,” Director of Soccer Dr. Eric Johnson said. “Dayton is a quality squad from back to front so it was not an easy result.”

Johnson must have been pleased with the performance of Trilk, who had seemed to struggle in recent matchups. His decisive play today earned him a well-deserved clean sheet, and hopefully his team and coach have more faith in him than before.

The Leathernecks next challenge will start a two game road trip starting with a matchup against Northern Illinois University this Wednesday night.