Mac Miller dies of overdose

Devon Greene, Editor-in-chief

The death of Pittsburg native rapper, Mac Miller, this weekend served as a wake-up call for many around the world.

Miller was one of the most beloved artists of this generation, but it wasn’t enough to keep him away from substance abuse problems which proved to be the very thing that took his life.

He was very open with his problems with addiction in the past and his dependence on drugs. He was sober for a year but fell back into the same patterns earlier this year. He was arrested for a DUI in May as he fell deeper into his spiral. Miller’s tragic story ended on Friday night as he died of an overdose in his home.

His family released a statement following his death on Saturday.

“Malcolm McCormick, known and adored by fans as Mac Miller, has tragically passed away at the age of 26,” his family said. “He was a bright light in this world for his family, friends and fans. Thank you for your prayers. Please respect our privacy. There are no further details as to the cause of his death at this time.”

The entire world reacted in shock and grief all of Saturday with many celebrities and friends of Miller offering their condolences. Fans shared photos and videos of Miller on their timelines to remember the musical influence that he brought into the world. When it comes to rappers in today’s day in age, Miller was one of the least problematic that we had. He had his own personal demons with drugs and alcohol, but there were no problems with domestic violence or inappropriate contact with children like we’ve seen in the past. The music community has lost one of its brightest stars, and it will be a tough task to find anyone who comes close to filling the shoes of Miller.

For me, this proves that we need to do a better job supporting each other and making sure that we are checking in on our friends. I’ve had friends that have had problems with depression and I know I haven’t done as much as I should’ve at the time to help them. I try to be there for those who I love when they struggle but there is always more that we can do to help each other.

It’s hard to not lose faith in humanity when we see young people in this country committing suicide and falling victim to substance abuse so frequently. I remember seeing a story in the news that broke my heart about a 9-year-boy who committed suicide after coming out to his classmates at school.

We need to do a better job as a society providing outlets for those who are depressed to talk and noticing the signs that people are hurting and considering suicide. Even those who seem the strongest have the biggest problems. I’m sure we’ve all heard the adage that the funniest ones among us are also the saddest. We saw the case in 2014 when Robin Williams took his own life in one of the most shocking deaths in recent memory. Just because a person seems okay, it doesn’t mean that they are.

Take the time to ask your friends how they’re doing because you could be the difference in them being here tomorrow. Have the suicide hotline on your phone at all times and tell others about it. Finally, and most importantly, be nice to each other and love one another.