Power Rangers celebrate 25th Anniversary

Evan Williamson, Courier Staff

On Aug. 28, 2018, the world celebrated not only the 25th anniversary of Power Rangers but also the first ever National Power Rangers Day, which will be celebrated annually every Aug. 28. Power Rangers is adapted from Japan’s Super Sentai Series that began in 1975. America would start adapting the Japanese TV series starting with Super Sentai’s 16th installment Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger (Dinosaur Squadron Beast Ranger). The teenagers with attitude made their debut as “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” premiered Aug. 28, 1993. The series would prove to be popular as showrunners continued with the Zyuranger costumes while using Japanese stock footage of the next two Super Sentai Series. “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” introduced fans to characters that would become household names that are still popular to this day. It would last three seasons and 145 episodes, and a major motion picture release in 1995.

In 1996 showrunners decided to continue the story by adapting the 19th installment of Super Sentai, unlike Japan (who change the team for each installment) America decided to keep the same characters in a continuing thread this would be known as the Zordon Era, which would last till “Power Rangers in Space.” After that (like Japan) each team would be made up of different people. The series has definitely had its ups and downs over the years switching companies a total of four times. 1993 through 2002 Saban Entertainment owned and distributed Power Rangers, they would then transition ownership to a Disney owned company from 2002 to 2010. In 2010 Disney re-released season one of “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers,” with added visuals that brought back nostalgia for fans but only lasted 32 episodes compared to the original, which had 60. The Saban Company (previously Saban Entertainment) gained ownership again. They distributed on Nickelodeon and brought back a bunch of nostalgia for fans, the “It’s Morphin Time” battle cry was used again for the first since “Power Rangers Zeo” in 1996. They would also bring back Bulk from a favorite character from the Zordon Era of Power Rangers.

All the Power Rangers series that have been on since 2011 have lasted two seasons, the only series that this didn’t make sense was “Power Ranger’s Super Megaforce.” All the other ones have upgraded powers and sometimes new villains. Megaforce, however, was based on two different Super Sentai series (the others were only based on one). The second series of Megaforce Super Megaforce had brand new powers and costumes. I will admit I’m a little biased because I felt like they could have done more with the pirate theme like Japan. The nostalgia and especially the 20th Anniversary special made it more bearable. During Saban’s second run they released a movie loosely based on the original. Saban would sell Power Rangers to Hasbro in 2018, and for the first time ever Power Ranger’s is going backward in the Super Sentai series as it is using Go-Busters which was originally skipped.

Power Ranger’s Beast Morpher’s is set to release 2019. I don’t mean to bore you all with the history of Power Rangers. I could have gone into more details about the different teams and why Tommy is the best, but this isn’t about that. Power Rangers has influenced generations. Nickelodeon is set to continue airing Power Rangers till at least 2021. Hasbro is also looking to make a sequel to the 2014 movie, and with Japan about to enter a new era for Super Sentai; Power Rangers will continue. As the Power Rangers like to say, “Once a Ranger Always a Ranger.”