“Stranger Things” 3 trailer speculation

Conal Duffy, Courier Staff

“Stranger Things,” the popular Netflix original series, will return for season three. The trailer is out on YouTube, and is infused with so much 1980s imagery that you may have missed some things while watching it. The trailer is entirely an advertisement for the new Starcourt Mall in Hawkins, the Indiana town in which the show takes place. Different stores are showcased as well as the food court. Steve Harrington, a character on the show, now works at the Scoops Ahoy Ice Cream Parlor at Starcourt Mall. The most notable hidden secret in the trailer was at 47 seconds; they show that the featured best seller at Waldenbooks is “The Hunt for Red October” by Tom Clancy. This is most likely foreshadowing in many ways. “Stranger Things” is always referencing a lot of 80s movies even in the plot itself. For example, when Bob and Will are in the car in a certain scene in season two, Bob tells a story about a scary clown that haunted him as a child. He told Will that all he had to do was tell the clown to “Go Away!” Many “Stranger Things” fans speculate that this is a reference to the 1990 movie “IT,” which was about a scary clown that haunted kids even when they grew up. Further speculation says that Bob is Ben, the overweight kid in “IT.”

Anyway, “The Hunt for Red October” could be a key giveaway to the upcoming season’s plot. The novel is a Cold War thriller about a CIA analyst named Jack Ryan who leads a group of Navy officers to take possession of an experimental Soviet nuclear submarine that can sneak into American waters undetected. The commander of this submarine switches sides after a doctor who is never punished for his crimes kills his wife.

This story by Tom Clancy could be a foreshadowing for “Stranger Things” season three’s plot or at least foreshadowing for references they will make in the episodes. Also, could Starcourt Mall be the new location of Hawkins Lab? Could the Ice Cream at Scoops Ahoy be helping the Upside Down spread? “Stranger Things” season three apparently takes place in 1985. This is when the cult film “The Stuff” came out, a horror film about a yogurt-like substance that becomes the nation’s snack of choice. “The Stuff” is actually a living organism that eats people from the inside turning them into empty zombies. Also, 1985 is when Back to the Future came out. This is, of course, a really popular 80’s science fiction film about time travel. The movie could be referenced in the new third season, and if it isn’t, I will be a little disappointed. “Stranger Things” third season will come out next year. There are some key plot questions it has to answer. If you read on, there will be spoilers for seasons one and two, but at this point I believe I can safely assume that most people have watched the seasons already, since they have been out for a long time.

When will we see eleven’s sister again? Are there more children with numbers on their arm that have powers? “Stranger Things” references a real-world government experiment called MK-ULTRA, which was a secret CIA mind control program in the 1950s and 60s. What does the shadow monster from season two want? And what really is the Upside Down? Will Hopper and Joyce get together? These questions must be answered in season three.