“Kamikaze” Slim Shady is Back

Brie Coder, Courier Staff

I thin it’s the appropriate time to say “guess who’s back again? Shady’s back tell a friend.” Even though Eminem’s last album “Revival” was released last year, his newest album, which made its debut on Aug.31, “Kamikaze,” brings back an old friend, more like his alter ego, Slim Shady. But this time Shady isn’t the goofy rapper we knew him as, instead he’s out on a vengeance to rightfully address the rap industry as a whole and the world that we have grown accustomed to.

Before jumping into the songs off Eminem’s 10th studio album, the album cover really foreshadows the frustration that’s been ignited by the rap veteran. The artwork on the cover is a replica of a military aircraft, the same one used off of Beastie Boys 1986 album “Licensed to Ill.” The only difference is on the side of the aircraft it says FU-2, which is Eminem’s nice way of saying here’s what I have to say and I don’t care what you think.

“Kamikaze” is one of those albums where you have to listen to it from the beginning to the end all the way, no skips or breaks. For the purpose of keeping listeners excited, I will only talk about a few songs off his album. Because if you’re like me, when a good album comes out it’s like Christmas. You want to unwrap the presents. Not be told what the present is and have to pretend to be excited when you unwrap it.

The album begins with the song “The Ringer.” This song begins with Eminem coming out and saying he “wants to punch the world in the face right now.” There is so much going on in this song musically, that you might have to re-listen to it a few times to get everything. In the song he has a lot of flow, rhymes, bars and word plays. There is not one person that is being called out during this aggressive piece. President Trump, critics and what he likes to call “mumble rappers,” are just a few of the groups of people that are Eminem’s target. His thought about “mumble rappers” doesn’t end after this five and a half minute song. It’s only just the beginning.

Next is “Lucky You”, which is the third song off the album that also features Joyner Lucas, a very prominent rapper who is signed on with Atlantic Records. This song focuses in a bit more about the rap and hip hop industry currently, and how guys like Lucas aren’t recognized because they have to compete with new day rappers, who are ruining what was once a solid genre of music in these guy’s eyes. The irony of this piece is the way that Eminem mimics the triplet flow, which is a three accented beat that tends to break itself into groups of three. This type of beat is disliked quite a lot by artists and listeners, but has made a drastic spread into new rappers’ music. The song “Versace” by the Migos is a perfect example of that background beat mentioned above.

Eminem’s prey in this song is artists like Lil Pump, Lil Xan, Migos and Tekashi 6ix9ine. He begs that former rappers like Andre 3000, Masta Ace and Big Daddy Kane make a comeback soon because he can’t “take the current generation of rappers and their brain damage” anymore.

“Not Alike” is one song that got rapper Machine Gun Kelly’s attention. This song was about Eminem going off about a long time feud he has had with MGK. It all began in 2012, when MGK tweeted that Eminem’s daughter Hallie was “hot as (expletive).” His daughter at the time was only 16 years old. Shady adds in a comment within the rap about MGK’s disgusting comment by saying “If you wanna come at me with a sub, Machine Gun / And I’m talkin’ to you, but you already know who the (expletive) you are, Kelly / I don’t use sublims and sure as (expletive) don’t sneak-diss / But keep commenting on my daughter Hailie.” Additionally he throws in how unprofessional MGK was for using the world renowned rapper Tech N9ne to make a diss song about him.

A few days after “Kamikaze” was released, MGK fired back with his rap called “Rap Devil,” saying in his song “Mad about something I said in 2012 / Took you six years and a surprise album just to come with a diss.” This is only the beginning of rappers responding back to Eminem’s rants, but there are also well established rappers who are going back into the studio standing with Shady and what he has said about the modern day rappers.

It’s up to you to decide if the “The Rap God” took an artistic or a semi-narcissistic approach when he wrote these 13 songs and co-produced this album with Dr. Dre. However, if there is one thing that is quite clear is that Marshall Mathers III is not afraid to speak his mind, and “Kamikaze” was the right platform for him to do so.