WIU Food Pantry is open for business

Western Illinois University is happy to announce that the WIU Food Pantry is officially open for the Fall 2018 semester. With an institutional value of social responsibility, the pantry gives all students the opportunity to donate or grab food.

The pantry provides free, non-perishable food items to all people within the Western community, being open to all students, faculty and staff regardless of income. As long as one shows up with a valid student ID, they can access the pantry.

Located southeast of Hanson field at the old ticket booth, the WIU Food Pantry is open every Thursday from noon – 5 p.m. During this time students not only can stop by to snag some food, but if they’re feeling generous, the pantry does accept monetary and food donations. The food pantry works with a Feeding America Program, River Bend, to procure food. Every $1 donated helps the pantry provide five meals to those who need it.

The organization run by students thrives off the motto ‘Students Feeding Students.’ Members of the student organization have the chance to practice skills and utilize knowledge learned in the classroom, gain service hours and build their resume. The organization welcomes all students to come and check out them out.

By running daily operations of the WIU Food Pantry, students take on the responsibility of staffing the pantry, procurement of food, the development of policies and procedures, sanitation, fundraising, food drives and communication with the public. Assistant Professor Emily Shupe from Dietetics and Carrie Lowderman from Alumni Programs advise the organization.

Students who are interested in joining are encouraged to reach out to Erin Lee, president of the organization at  eh-lee@wiu.edu. Students can also reach out to operations manager Casey Sollenberger at cs-sollenberger@ wiu.edu, or simply shoot an email to wiufoodpantry@ wiu.edu to learn more. Any and all monetary donations can be mailed to Advisor Emily Shupe – WIU Food Pantry at 140 Knobaluch Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, IL 61455.