Can money buy happiness?

Mark Tolliver, Courier Staff

Lacking enough money to cover your basic needs can cause stress in even the strongest of people but is there a correlation between money and happiness?

There have been examples where the meaning of basic needs have been looked at differently by different people. Maybe it’s more about the expectations and what we desire rather than what we need. We also know many people who are making great amounts of money, but are still not happy. If having a great amount of money equals happiness, how do you explain those who do not have a lot money, but are some of the happiest people around?

Looking at my personal life, I’m not filthy rich, but my family and I are pretty well off and I am still happy. I am not rich where I can just spend, spend, spend but I’m still happy; happy with life, school, and where I’m at in my life right now. I think that money can’t buy happiness; there is no correlation between money and happiness.

What makes you happy are the other things in life such as family, friends, your significant other, pet, job etc. Things that we enjoy doing and things we look forward to doing are the things that makes us happy in life. Happiness is about your life, the components of your life and how you live your life. If you are happy with making a lot of money, then your job makes you happy. There is a certain amount of money where we all have to meet our required necessities and accomplishing those basic needs make us happy.

Having more money, your worries and stress levels increase greatly. You begin to worry about getting more money to pay bills, go on trips and look good with all of the money you have. Having just enough money, you do what you have to do with your money and then you know you’re satisfied which brings happiness. The fear of losing money, spending useless money, and/or even being taken for granted for your money becomes a worry and headache for you. Trying to make a whole lot of money to make you happy sometimes may mean you need to have a stressful and hard job that may or may not interest you.

In today’s society, we do not know the real meaning of happiness. Happiness is constant joy and bliss. Today’s happiness is looked at being excited and joyful for a moment in time due to an instant event that happened. After the event brings happiness, we lose that happiness and begin to look for other things to bring that happiness back. It goes the same way with money; once we have made a certain amount, we are happy and once that amount is gone, we are desperately seeking other ways to bring that money and happiness back.

Money can’t buy everything we want in life. We can’t buy peace, joy, health and strength with money. Yes, it could help achieve these things in life, but overall in life happiness comes from our life actions and how we are living life.