Tattoos shouldn’t be taboo

Karolina Orszulak, Courier Staff

Have you ever talked to someone for a long time and realized that they are not the person you thought they were?

This can be a positive or a negative thing. What I mean by this is, have you ever talked to someone who was dressed in sweat pants, a sweatshirt, with their hair all messy and realized that they are not this lazy person that your mind sought them out to be, but actually turned out to be a highly intelligent individual who just happens to like to wear sweat pants every day? You were constantly told as a kid, and even now, to never judge a book by its cover, so why do we still do it?

One of the main issues involves judging before knowing someone is in the work field. Most work places do not allow employees to have noticeable tattoos or piercings. Some places may allow it, as long as they are covered with a Band-Aid or you are wearing a long sleeve shirt to cover the tattoos on your arms. The question that always comes up is why do work places require this. Recently I read an article that stated that a recent study proved that someone with tattoos does not make them a bad a person. Well, that is painfully obvious.

So why do employers ask if you have any hidden tattoos when applying for a job? Or why do employers ask for you to cover up your tattoos if you are already hired? The most common answer is that it can cause distraction to other employees, customers, students or patients. Tattoos can give off an impression of someone that may be viewed as aggressive or mean, such as a tattoo of a gun on someone’s forearm. That tattoo gives off the impression that this person may be violent and aggressive, which employers do not want, but in reality it may just be a tattoo to represent that time someone spent serving our country. Like mentioned in the beginning of this article, judging someone or in this case something before knowing the entire back story may cause confusion or a misinterpretation.

Do tattoos in the work place make a difference? Should anti-tattoo discrimination be illegal? I personally do not think that what your body looks like, or how you choose to show off the art on it, affects the way a person works. If you were to observe two teachers side by side, one of these teachers has multiple tattoos while the other has none, the way they do their job would be the same. The way they teach, the way they interact with students and even the way they portray themselves will be the same.

Employers should be more open-minded and focus less on what a person looks like, but focus more on how the candidate does the job and how they present themselves when speaking to other people. Judging someone off of the way they decide to show off art does not portray how the person works or acts.