The Alcohol and Other Drugs Resource Center present: Step Up

Chance Darby, Courier Staff

Tuesday, Sept. 18, the Alcohol and Other Drug Resource Center at Western Illinois University will be offering a bystander training course also known as Step Up from 3 to 6 p.m. in Seal Hall Room 317.

Have you ever been concerned about something happening to someone and wanted to help but never did? This situation happens more often than you think and its known as the bystander effect.

Step Up! Is a pro-social behavior and bystander intervention program that will educate students to be proactive in helping others. They will be covering the five decision-making steps to help students learn to recognize when someone is in needs for help, as well as the S.E.E. (Safe; Early; Effective) Model. Step Up offers information that can educate students on sexual assault, alcohol, anger, depression, discrimination, hazing, eating disorders and many more kinds of bystander intervention.

The goal of Step Up is to raise awareness to helping others by developing skills and confidence when responding to problems or concerns and to make sure the safety and well-being of yourself and others. Athletics, Greek life, student affairs, campus health, violence prevention centers, residence life and many others have helped to adapt Step Up. For additional information visit stepupprogram.org, where they have several hours of different trainings and scenarios for free. Program methods include: discussion, collaboration with students and student athletes, videos and PowerPoint presentations.

”This training is important for college students to be aware of because they are often part of situations that would benefit from bystander intervention,” Kaitlyn Smith said. “We want to raise awareness of helping behaviors, increase motivation to help and teach students how to be safe not only for their sake, but also for others around them.”

After attending, students will have a better understanding of what it means to be a bystander and will learn ways to avoid inaction when action is needed.

The program is free for participants, and you can receive a certificate for participation. To register for the training, email Samantha Klingler at SJ-Klingler@wiu.edu, or you can register online before September 18. If you cannot attend the September training you can request an individual group request. In addition to learning how to help others around you, some professors may offer extra credit for completion of the course.