The Panhellenic Council presidents urge women to join Greek life

Panhellenic Council has chosen applicants to ease the stress of recruitment and to help potential new members find their home away from home.

Panhellenic Council

Panhellenic Council

This weekend starts the beginning of the Panhellenic Council at Western Illinois University’s recruitment season.

Panhellenic Council (PHC) is the governing body of the National Panhellenic Conference, and like sororities is responsible for setting standards and policy for the chapters at Western. This council is also responsible for the recruitment of women interested in joining the Greek community.

People join different organizations across campus for various reasons. President of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority, Briana Cline, spoke about the why she would encourage all women on campus to go Greek.

“I would encourage women to go Greek because it really brings out the best in you,” Cline said. “ My sisters constantly challenge me to become the women I want to be and without them I wouldn’t be who I am.”

Similar to Cline, Marrion Ore, President of Chi Omega sorority, thought that joining a Greek organization would help women grow as people, not only within her organization, but also in life.

“I would encourage other women to go Greek because it helps people learn a variety of skills to become a well-accomplished person,” Ore said.

Joining a Greek organization goes past the stereotypes of partying all the time. The core values of Greek life on campus established by the Organization of Student Activities at Western are: leadership, scholarship, community service, true friendship and accountability. Members have the opportunity to hold leadership positions within their organization, must maintain a minimum GPA established by their organization, lead by example and be proactive in helping their community through service, create deep bonds of loyalty and trust and hold each other accountable to University and organizational standards and values.

Not only does Greek life at Western combat stereotypes, but they also make sure to prove them wrong. Through philanthropic service each organizations donates thousands of dollars and raises awareness to their cause throughout the year. Each national fraternity and sorority has established a philanthropy or community service program that raised money for charitable causes.

Along with shedding light on stereotypes, Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority President Megan Hilt explained benefits that go hand-in-hand with being involved in organizations like these.

“Networking is huge within our community,” said Hilt. “I can personally say that since my sorority does so much work with our philanthropies I’m looking to get an internship with one of them over the summer.”

Not only do you get educational benefits that will help you along your career path, but you get emotional and life support.

Joining a sorority gives you a nation-wide support system and networking opportunity, which can lead to new relationships, new experiences and new opportunities. With recruitment being just a few days away, each organizations presidents gave out some words of advice.

“If you choose to wear heels, please wear sensible ones! You will be going up and down a lot of staircases and we want you to be safe,” Ore said. “Also, if you’re in any FitBit step challenges, bring your FitBit because you’ll be getting lots of steps!”

“A piece of advice I would give to women going into this weekend is keep an open mind,” Cline said. “You are going to hear it all weekend but honestly go in just being yourself and open to all of the 6 amazing houses that we have on this campus. When you know, you will know that you are home.”

“The day is long, stay hydrated and be sure to remain open minded,” Hilt said “Be open to trying new things, especially if you’re going through with a group of friends, do your down thing because only you know what is good for you.”