Greek life is more than parties

Donnetta Shanklin, Opinions Writer

Why did I choose to go Greek? I’m not going to lie, I knew I wanted to go Greek before I entered college.

A lot of people think that Greek life is just about partying and paying thousands of dollars to walk around campus in some foreign letters, but it’s not like that at all. I can’t speak for every school nationally, but that’s not how it is at Western Illinois University.

Western Illinois Universities Greek life is heavily involved with lots of organizations here on campus. I joined Greek life to not only make connections, but to be a part of something bigger than myself. Yes, one does have to pay for their membership, but this membership gets you access to a lot of opportunities.

Almost every Panhellenic sorority here at Western Illinois University does some type of philanthropic event that is related to cancer. If it’s not cancer, it’s other things like raising money and planning events for extraordinary foundations like the Starkey Hearing Foundation, prematurity awareness, Special Olympics, Make a Wish Foundation and raising money to give school supplies to people who can’t afford it.

Not only are there individualized foundations the sororities have, but they open up their philanthropies to all of Greek life. When all the sororities come together helping to raise money for one another, it is one of the very reasons I joined Greek life. It’s amazing to see all those smiling faces unified as one and looking at the bigger picture.

Joining Greek life has been one of the best opportunities I have been apart of in my college career. So many doors and opportunities have been opened to me. Now my time here is almost to an end, but I do not regret joining Greek life. I’ve found lifelong friends in my sorority and different sororities. I’ve found people with the same aspirations as me and the same mindset as me. And lastly, I am happy I joined Greek life because it has helped me to become a strong leader and helped me step out of my comfort zone.

So, if one is ever considering joining Greek life, one should try to look past the partying and letter wearing and see that there is more to my sorority and panhellenic life than me just wearing a shirt with an alpha, a sigma and a tau on it, it’s about me being a part of something much bigger than myself. It’s about being a leader in the community. It’s about stepping up and helping the community. It’s about wanting to give back to the community. Being involved in Greek life can get your foot in the door to join other on campus organizations as well. Some people who are involved with Greek life here at Western Illinois University are also a part of other student run organizations.

Being a part of Greek life is about building your resume with service projects and community service. It’s about being part of something bigger than yourself.