Competition kicks off before kick off

Chance Darby, Courier Staff

Saturday, Sept. 15, the 2018 Fighting Leatherneck football season will be fired up with a BBQ competition. The School of Agriculture and the University Union Board will be hosting the BBQ Competition right in Q-lot.

The event will be a rib and brisket competition for participating teams using a wood, charcoal, electric or propane smoker. All meat will be provided to you on Friday, Sept. 14 at check-in. There is no cost to enter the competition but guest will have to buy tasting tickets to sample ribs and brisket and to vote on their favorite. A panel of judges have been selected to vote and select the grand prizes in a variety of categories.

Tasting tickets will be available for purchase online. Tickets are $3 for one ticket and $5 for two. Tickets can be picked up from 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 14, in the Office of Student Activities in the University Union and/or Saturday, Sept. 15, in Q-Lot at the entrance to the event.

T-shirts will also be sold at the event. Prices range from $10 to $12 depending on size. If interested in both a t-shirt and tasting tickets, family deals are available on the School of Agriculture website. Deals start at $65 for a family of three and run to $135 for a family of six.

Alongside the BBQ Competition, there will be various fun family activities. The Rockn’ Papas will take the stage to entertain the crowd, there also will be face painting, games and activities for all ages of children. Succeeding the competition The Fighting Leatherneck will taking on the University of Montana Grizzlies at 3:00 p.m. at Hanson Field. Tickets will be free for Western students and $10 to anyone that is not a student. The event is sponsored by Smithfield Foods, the Hancock County Beef Association, Compeer Financial and Refreshment Services Pepsi.

For more information about the event, email pigout@wiu.edu.