Take college at your own pace

Donnetta Shanklin, Opinions Writer

A lot of people are in a rush to get out of college, they do their four years, and get out as soon as humanly possible.

They try to do their general education classes as fast as they can, and then get to their core classes so they can graduate in a timely manner. The first two years are generally about taking general education classes, sometimes you start your major classes, but for the most part you just do the basic science, math, English and all the other general classes we are all required to take. Once you’re done with that, you’re able to move onto your core major classes. High school is also like college because you generally tend to stay in high school or college for four years. Of course, there are people who graduate early and there’s people who graduate late, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

At the end of the day what matters is that you get your diploma and get your foot in the door for opportunities outside of the classroom setting. Whether it takes two years to graduate and get your bachelors or takes 10 years, it does not matter as long as you get that degree. Sometimes people can feel embarrassed for having to stay an extra semester or two. They think that it can be the end of the world and that it’s a waste of money and time, I am one of those people.

I have to stay an extra semester for one class that I could’ve probably taken earlier. I was very upset about it, but now looking at it this is something that is not the end of the world. It’s not a race to get a degree it does not make you less of a person for having to stay an extra semester, or year, or two years. At the end of the day it is still the same piece of paper the time in which you receive that paper does not matter. People have a whole life ahead of them so there’s no rush to earning their degree. It can actually be beneficial for staying longer because you can start saving money if you’re trying to move into an apartment after graduation, trying to move out of state or trying to go to grad school.

Sometimes when you’re in a rush, things don’t work out in your favor and you will try to rush through the process of adulting, so taking that extra semester to breathe and finish the degree can actually be very beneficial. Yes, the timing may not be perfect, but life is not perfect. You are faced with challenges everyday and how you overcome them is what makes you an intelligent person, staying an extra semester does not make you any lesser than those who graduate on time.