Men wanted to paint one nail

On Sept. 20 and 21 in the University Union Concourse, ‘Polished Man’ will be raising awareness of the sexual violence committed against children.

The group encourages men to paint one of their fingernails in order to show respect to the one in every five children that are a victim. According to polishedman. com, men commit close to 90 percent of acts of sexual violence against children, though the group is not focused on placing blame. Instead, they are looking to convince the men who do not commit violence to speak out against those who do.

The symbolism behind painting a fingernail began after an eight year old girl, Thea, was rescued from a sexually violent orphanage. Thea was saved by Elliot Costello, the CEO and Co- Founder of YGAP, a non-for-profit group that focuses on eliminating poverty. Thea painted Costello’s fingernails blue, and from that day on, he decided to paint one of his nails each day to honor her.

Polished Group seeks to completely end violence against children, which is clear because 100 percent of the funds received from the group are used to combat trauma suffered by victims of violence.

Those who cannot attend the event can still participate by painting a fingernail and by using the hashtag #polishedman.

The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and is organized by Western Illinois University’s Student Development Office (SDO) interpersonal violence awareness and prevention program. Contact SDO at (309) 298- 1884 or visit wiu.edu/sdo for more information.