Leathernecks look to stop LA Tech

Bianca Romay runs to help a teammate on defense.

Bradley Piros, Assistant Sports Editor

MACOMB Ill. — The Western Illinois women’s soccer team will continue their four-game home-stand this Friday when they take on the Louisiana Tech Techsters. LA Tech comes in to this game with a 3-1 record, however they’ll be taking on the Missouri State University Bears tonight before they come visit the Leathernecks.

Western however, are coming off of a 4-0 loss to the University of Missouri-Kansas City in their home opener. It was a disappointing loss and brings their record down to 1-2. The Leathernecks were outshot 25-6 and watched as the Kangaroos put four goals past them.

They’ll be looking to bounce back against a red-hot LA Tech team and it’s not going to be easy. They have already scored 10 goals in their first four games, all of them coming at home. MSU and Western will be their first two games on a three-game road trip.

Last season, LA Tech posted a terrific 8-1-2 record on the road, going 14-3-5 overall. This team knows how to win and frequently plays some tough competition. Last year they played and beat the No. 5 seed in their conference, Old Dominion, 2-1. Their final game of the season was against No. 8 seed Charlotte, and they lost 1-0 in the Conference USA semifinals.

The Conference USA is one of the toughest divisions for women’s soccer, and right now, LA Tech are sitting at first in those rankings, showing a 3-1 conference record.

Enough about LA Tech, how is Western going to stop their lethal attack? The Leathernecks have already given up five goals in three games, but also post one shutout against Northern Illinois University. So, they know how to keep teams scoreless, but if they want to do it against LA Tech, Western’s defense will have to be on point for the entirety of the match.

Often times, Western comes out a little flat footed and lets their opponent grab a goal in the first couple of minutes, which is what happened against UMKC. Once they go down, the Leathernecks are not typically the come from behind type of team.

If Western wants to upset LA Tech, they’ll have to come right out of the gate with some strong offense, and even stronger defense. Whether that be defenders getting up into the attack, or midfielders coming back to defend a little bit more, some changes will need to be made.

They’ll be at home, on a Friday night, with their home crowd cheering them on. It’s up to them if they want to try and turn their season around. This win could easily jumpstart a comeback, especially heading into two more home games against the Milwaukee Panthers and Ball State University.

Western lost to both of those teams last season, but a win against LA Tech could give them the confidence boost they need to go on a run and win out their home stead.

Either way, Western looks to bounce back this Friday and at 5 p.m. on John Mackenzie Alumni Field.

twitter: bradjp08