Adjusting to choices in Macomb

Karolina Orszulak, Courier Staff

When touring around Western I think one of the reasons I chose to come here was the small town vibe that I got, when I walked through the square.

Since I was born and raised in the city, Macomb was considered a small town for me. I wasn’t too close to places that we’re close to here. a walking distance away from at least two Starbucks or driving distance of 10 minutes just to go to my shopping mall full of at least forty clothing stores so moving to a town where the main store is Walmart. In order to eat some of my favorite foods like Chipotle or Panera, a trip that can take up to an hour has to be made. Although Macomb may not have all the things city kids are used to like such as; shopping malls, skyscrapers, and multiple food places Macomb has significantly grown over the past years.

Macomb recently added a Starbucks and McAlister’s which are pretty well known company’s. Although students are thrilled with these small steps, it may not be enough. Students are convinced that if Macomb were to get a Steak ‘n Shake or Chipotle that the enrollment rate would increase, due to the fact that students would have a varierty of places to eat from remind them of places they have at home. Although I am completely not against Macomb adding a Chipotle, there may be something that we need more of and that would be clothing stores.

I asked a few women where they buy clothes while they are living in Macomb and the most common answer is either they do all their shopping online, or wait until they go home to go clothes shopping. I’ll be the first to say that this sucks, especially if you are like me who needs to try on clothes before buying them to make sure that it fits perfectly and looks flattering, which you can’t do if you shop online. Online shopping may be easy because everything is right at the tip of your fingers. But waiting for shipping, wondering if the clothes you ordered will look good, or even if they fit correctly is not fun.

With that being said, can we all agree that although a Chipotle would be great addition to Macomb a few decent clothing stores would be even better. Not only would these clothing stores create some peace for those people who are last minute shoppers for either gifts or an outfit for a special event, it would create more jobs for students and citizens in the surrounding areas. The addition of a few clothing stores near the area will definitely attract transfer students and seniors in high school when deciding where they would like to spend the next four years of their college career. They will be attracted to how convenient shopping will be, especially for the men and women since the nearest malls are about an hour away, if not more. Macomb is already a town that we all know and love, but there is never any harm with expanding the town to make students feel more at home, create more jobs and be as convenient as possible.