Lodge and Libations event to be held Sept.22

Saturday, Sept. 22, Macomb will be hosting the Lodge and Libations Event at Horn Field Campus.

The event, which will be held for the fifth straight year, is sponsored by Horn Field Campus, Hospitality Management, Park and Tourism Administration and the Western Illinois University Department of Recreation. The festivities will kick off at 5 p.m. and will focus on celebrating both new and existing partnerships and the successes and strengths of the educational department. A short program at Horn Field Campus will take place at 6 p.m.

Refreshments, appetizers and a cash bar will be offered at the event, which first started in 2014.

It was in 2014 that Horn Field officially became part of Western for 50 years. The event was designed to celebrate the anniversary, while also raising funds to construct an educational facility at Horn Field Campus. If fundraising numbers reach the end goal, the educational facility will be built outdoors and will occupy 92 acres.

Advertised as “an escape to nature just minutes from campus,” the Horn Field Campus unit showcases the scenery, while also promoting responsibility when it comes to how people treat the environment. On the grounds is a lodge that seats 50 people, a commons area that can be used for picnics and three cabins available for rent. If an individual or a group would like transportation out to Horn Field Campus, Durham School Services can be contacted at (309) 836-6806. Hy-Vee, Old Dairy, Jimmy Johns, Magnolias Restaurant and Sodexo Food Service are available for food catering.

The cost to attend the Lodge and Libations Event is $10 per person but for children and students who are enrolled at Western, it’s just $5 per person. Monday, Sept. 17, is the last day that online registration will be available to the public. Horn Field Campus is located just one mile south of the town of Macomb at 985 China Rd.

For those looking to attend the event, or even to get involved, HFC Program Director Mindy Pheiffercan be reached at (309) 298-4676 or at MJ-Pheiffer@wiu.edu.

If anyone is unable to attend the event, they are encouraged to text “Horn50” to the number ‘41444’ or by visiting wiu. edu/HFC. There is also the option of contacting Suzanne Woodward, who is the Director of Development of the College of Education and Human Services. Woodward can be reached at (309) 298-1690 or at S-Woodward@wiu.edu.