Scouting White Sox prospects

Michael Kopech winds up for a pitch.

Michael Kopech winds up for a pitch.

Twitter.com

Twitter.com

Michael Kopech winds up for a pitch.

Brendan Reidy, Sports Writer

MACOMB, Ill. — The Chicago White Sox may not be one of the most exciting teams in baseball right now, but they certainly will be one of the more exciting teams in the near future. The South Side is loaded with tons of talent, and has been ranked No. 3 in the MLB.

Though the fans will have to wait for the majority of their talent to be pulled up from the minors, there have been many prospects that have been pulled up to the big league club.

Yoan Moncada, Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez and Carson Fulmer all started on the big league roster this season. While some say that they did not live up to the hype, I believe that they didn’t need to become all-stars right off the bat, rather they showed signs of improvement throughout the course of the season.

Moncada was one of the most highly touted prospects throughout major league baseball, but has yet to live up to his huge expectations. Moncada has a batting average of .220, and is currently on pace to beat the MLB strikeout record.

However, Moncada has shown steady improvement during the second half of the baseball season. He has taken more walks and has been more reliable on the defensive side. The Sox will need to see continued improvement from him, if he wishes to be a part of their long term plans.

Giolito has been a big disappoint this season. Giolito has the stuff to be a top of the line pitcher, but it gets to his head too much while he is pitching.

He currently has the best pitching record on the club, going 9-9 on the year, but saw his ERA reach new heights this season. Giolito had an opportunity to cement himself into the rotation of the future, but will most likely see himself in the bullpen as a long reliever.

Lopez started the year off on a strong note, being the White Sox top pitcher for the first few months of the season. However, he did not get the run support he needed to win games, and many fans wonder if he has given up on the season, even though there is still many games left on the schedule.

“Rey” is a hard throwing pitcher who will likely be in the back end of the White Sox rotation when the rebuild is complete. He will have to learn to not pitch with power against every batter, and will have to develop to his off-speed pitches to be a successful starting pitcher with the professionals.

Fulmer was the fourth and final prospect to start off in the big leagues this year. Fulmer did not stay on the big league roster for long. He got rocked in many starting nods, and it was not long before he was sent back down to the farm for development. It seems like Fulmer’s starting days are behind him, but still has an opportunity to be a long reliever for the club when they are contending.

While the first wave of prospects did not blow away fans, there is still hope for the next few waves of minor league prospects. Michael Kopech recently got pulled up and impressed his team during his debut. He was the White Sox No. 2 prospect and the MLB’s No. 13 – ranked prospect.

His debut was cut short due to a rain delay, but struck out four batters in two innings of work. Eloy Jimenez is another White Sox prospect on the cusp of getting a call up. He is the Sox’s number No. 1 ranked prospect and the MLB’s No. 3 ranked prospect. He is raking in the minor leagues, having multi-hit games like it is nothing. It is only a matter of time before he, and all the other young talented prospects will be called up.

The White Sox took a gamble by investing their resources into a full rebuild, and only time will tell if it pays off.