Cyberpunk trailer released

Conal Duffy, Courier Staff

Cyberpunk 2077 is an upcoming video game from developer CD Projekt Red, who also brought us The Witcher series. At E3 2018, which is the biggest yearly event in gaming, we saw a cinematic trailer for the game.

The trailer showed off an ambitious futuristic city called Night City, with flying cars, all sorts of cool technology and an amazing protagonist. Even in the future, the city is divided between the rich and poor. There is a lot of turmoil and fighting within the city. People have cybernetic implants and modifications to their bodies. There is a lot of conflict, cheeky business deals and attitude.

We only got the trailer, but it was only cinematic. It didn’t show us any gameplay. At E3, they showed the press gameplay of the game behind closed doors. When the members of the press came out of that secret room, they all mostly agreed that the game looked promising. I can imagine that, coming from a really good company like CD Projekt Red, this game will be as amazing and full of detail like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. That game had a lot of side quests and things to do. It would make sense for Cyberpunk 2077 to have similar depth in its gameplay. The question on every fan’s mind is, when will the game be released? My closest bet would be a 2020 release. In an article on Engadget titled “It’s not always sunny in ‘Cyberpunk 2077’,” written by Jessica Conditt, producer of the game Richard Borzymowski said that the game is playable from start to finish story-wise. However, he added also, “It doesn’t have all of the proper assets, playtesting or bug fixes in place, but seeing the story come together is a critical step in the development process.”

This means that the game’s story is playable all throughout, but the kinks haven’t been worked out entirely. There could still be a lot of bugs and problems with the game that the developers still have to work out.

Another guess for the release year would be 2021. This would be all right with me because in my opinion, games shouldn’t be rushed. More developers need to take their time making video games, so that they can produce quality over quantity.

If it’s released in 2021, its possible that by that time the next generation of video game consoles will be already out. Think about it, if the PS3 came out in 2006, which is seven years before 2013 (which is when the PS4 came out), and seven years after 2013 is 2020, we could expect new video game consoles in 2020. The PS5 and Xbox Two (if that’s its name) could be just around the corner. With every new generation of game consoles, the technology gets better and the game worlds get more detailed. To me, it seems that Cyberpunk 2077 is so ambitious that it could only make sense to release it on PS5 and the next-gen Xbox.

I am also interested in this game because I love films like Blade Runner. I am into science fiction stuff, and this game looks promising. Especially coming from a developer that made an amazing game like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.