New school year resolutions

Zach Young, Courier Staff

With the start of another semester, goals and expectations from students are abound. Students across campus have goals of earning that 4.0 GPA, or that hope of getting involved on campus more. Some might simply just coast through their last semester, or year, before they leave WIU and Macomb, for good.

Whatever your goals and aspirations are for the year, go get them. Don’t overlook the fact that you have a plethora of resources available to you at WIU. There is tutoring available within each academic program, or you can visit your professors during their pre-scheduled office hours each week. The University Writing Center is a great resource for students who may need help with their writing, or simply do not know how to format a bibliography or works cited page. The UCC has multiple locations and hours available to fit almost any schedule. It’s needless to say, but resources are everywhere at WIU so use them!

First year and transfer students, don’t waste time immersing yourself in WIU and the surrounding community. WIU is also filled with traditions. From homecoming, to the annual Purple and Gold banquet, University Housing and Dining’s Mud Volleyball, which is happening this Saturday, Aug. 25, behind Bayliss Hall, the Macomb Balloon Rally is happening on Sep. 6-7, and brings in hundreds of people every year to get up close and personal with hot air balloons to see them light up the area around Vince Grady Fields.

Macomb is a hidden gem, also. Yes, it’s small and no, it does not have a mall or Portillos, but these small Illinois towns have a lot to offer those that invest themselves into them. For example, Ball Fore Entertainment on West Jackson Street (next to R.P. Lumber) offers mini-putt, a driving range, sand volleyball courts and batting cages all at affordable prices. There are several unique shops around the square and plenty of food options for students to practically explore a new choice every week. Don’t be afraid to branch out and try something new in Macomb.

Don’t be afraid to go out around campus and Macomb to find “your people” either. In the end, there are people all across campus that want you to leave Macomb with positive memories.