More options for college classes

London Rivers, Courier Staff

With college being as emotionally, physically and mentally draining as it is, it would be nice to be asked what I want to learn about other than when it’s time for me to select, and or drop my classes.

I appreciate the great selection of majors and minors that are available to the students here at Western Illinois University. However, even with a great selection to choose from, the information in my opinion doesn’t seem to fit the courses that we either choose as electives, or are required to take to graduate. As a journalism major, I have learned far more than what I knew prior to joining the department. Many of my classes involve information about careers in the news department of journalism. Now, there is nothing wrong with learning about news, considering that it is a valid definition for journalism. However, it would also be nice to focus on other areas that could interest me in my career as well.

Many of the classes that I take become repetitive with the information that is being taught. At times it feels as though I’m having deja vu after a day of back-to-back classes. Even if we’re not going to be asked our preference on what’s to be taught each semester, at least provide us with more variety in the lessons we learn. It’s already below zero degrees in each class giving our bodies the permission to fall asleep during mid-lecture. So, how am I expected to sit and learn for 50 minutes to an hour and a half a day, when I feel as though the information I’m listening to was just taught during my previous class?

Since becoming a college student, I can’t remember the last time that I was asked what it is that I wanted to learn about. When I graduate I want to know enough without having to be ignorant to what I am expected to know when I start my career. Many students come back after working at an internship and they learn more than they did during the school year, which is expected, yes. However, we should already know these things before going out into the field. Maybe, if we were given the option of learning about objectives that we know will help us have an impact on our career, we will be more than willing to sit in class and learn about.

After paying tuition each semester, and finding the energy to show up to a 9 a.m. class, I would just appreciate the same energy in return as to teaching me practical and useful information in my possible career. I’m tired of thinking that I may have learned more in high school than I am in college, yet the time and energy that I am putting in does not seem to match what I’m getting back. Either give me more options or don’t expect me to listen.