Alpha Gamma Rho receives National recognition

Alpha Gamma Rho, better known as AGR, a Greek organization here at Western Illinois University was recently recognized as a Gold Award chapter.

Their fraternal advisor was also honored as one of the top in the county. The awards were presented to the chapter during the 65th Alpha Gamma Rho National Convention Aug. 2-5 in New Orleans.

Only 23 of the 77 chapters nationally received the recognition of the Gold Award, the Alpha Tau Chapter being one of them. The Gold Award is the highest recognition a chapter can receive. In order to be eligible the chapter must meet six of seven requirements: academic excellence, lifelong membership development, continued alumni engagement, chapter crescents, recruitment excellence and communications.

Western School of Agriculture Professor and AGR chapter advisor Kevin Bacon was individually recognized as one of the top three advisors nation wide.

Bacon explained to university relations that much of what they were recognized for is an ongoing initiative throughout the course of the year. Bacon’s leadership team helped bring home the hardware, from writing letters of support to heading the team they made sure to get the job done.

“I was simply fortunate enough to have a leadership team that followed through on applying for the awards,” said Bacon to university relations. “I would like to offer special recognition to Tyler Wilson (Class of 2018) who headed up that team – without his leadership, I am not sure we could have pulled it off. We also had several alumni board members writing letters of support and providing input to undergraduate members on specific sections of the application – it truly was a team effort.”

In attendance of the bi-annual conference to receive the award were President Carson Bloomberg, Cyle LaFollett, Kevin McCutchan and Jake Foy, all senior agriculture majors from Illinois. Also in attendance were alumni and former chapter president Wayne Whipps, agriculture graduate from Cedar Falls, Iowa, along with Gerry Salzman, agriculture economics graduate, current director of national AGR Educational Foundation and former chapter president.