Fight with friends in Fallout 76

Conal Duffy, Courier Staff

Fallout 76 is an upcoming video game set in post-apocalyptic West Virginia. The game is being published by Bethesda, a video game company in Maryland. The Fallout series has always been about single player RPGs. This time however, the new iteration will feature online multiplayer..

This is a big change for the series. Many are excited, and many are skeptical about this upcoming game. The people who are skeptical are saying that this game will ruin Fallout because the developers decided not to have any NPCs. The way they explain the game is, everyone you interact with will be a real person. The haters have spawned the hashtag #NotMyFallout. This hashtag is just filled with hate for a video game nobody has played yet. I find this irrational.

Fallout fans that live in West Virginia are excited because a video game has never taken place in their state. This is probably the first time a modern video game is going to take place in West Virginia. This makes me excited too because I grew up in Virginia as a young kid, and have been through West Virginia on car trips. The state is beautiful and I can’t wait to explore the post-nuclear version of it.

There are a lot of nuclear secrets in West Virginia. One of the most notable is a hotel by the name of The Greenbrier. During the Cold War, they used to plan on taking the president and other top government officials there, to a bunker underneath the hotel, in case nuclear war broke out. This was so that the government could function during a nuclear winter.

In Fallout 76 you will be able to visit this location to unlock its secrets.

Another huge feature of Fallout 76 is the ability to team up with other players to find pieces of launch codes for nuclear missile silos. Once you and your friends find these launch codes, you must travel to a hidden missile launch center. Then, you can launch a missile and obliterate a part of the game’s map. Critics of this feature ask, what if you are a level one player and someone nukes you? That seems unfair. However, Bethesda has said that they have taken measures to stop bullies in the game. I hope this game is good.

Multiplayer is a new direction for Fallout. Of course there are going to be critics and skeptics. The game launches on Nov. 14 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. The game’s predecessor, Fallout 4 was released in 2015 and there were some things they didn’t get right when making a Fallout game. The voiced protagonist was, in my opinion, a mistake that sort of ruined role-play.

In Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, you had many dialog options. You could be nice, mean and persuasive among other things. In Fallout 4 they dumbed it down to four buttons for four dialog options. You could either say “yes,” a sarcastic “yes,” or “no”, or a sarcastic “no.” That’s what it really boiled down to, to be honest. Don’t get me wrong; Fallout 4 was a decent open-world shooter. However, there were a lot of locations in the game that felt empty.

I liked Fallout 4 but it had its flaws. I just hope that Fallout 76 will get it right in the way they made it. The fact that there will be no NPCs, only players, worries me a little but Bethesda could be on to something amazing.