Box office flop

Wikipedia.org

Zach Young, Courier Staff

Uh oh-trouble in the box-office! That is, probably, what the producers and actors and actresses are saying after the release of the new movie “Billionaires Boys Club” earned a measly $126 in its opening night in theaters. Granted, the movie was only released in ten select theaters, however, when broken down, this average out to just $12.60 per theatre. All of this work for a movie which took two and a half year to make, and cost approximately $15,000,000 to produce.

Most films, even very poor-quality ones, generally fare better than this in their opening night. However, this is no average film. This film in particular stars Kevin Spacey, the now disgraced Hollywood actor that was accused of sexual harassment by, then 14-year-old, Anthony Rapp on Oct. 29, 2017. Rapp, who most notably starred in Star Trek: Discovery, accused Spacey of unwanted sexual advances dating back to 1989.

After Rapp’s accusations came to light in his Oct. 29 Buzz Feed interview he was quickly followed-up by a dozen more accusers, including some from the hit TV series, “House of Cards”, which also starred Kevin Spacey but quickly separated from him following the accusations last year.

In response to Rapp’s accusations, Spacey quickly released a statement that, in part, stated he did not remember the 1989 encounter but that he was “deeply horrified” and apologized for his actions. In the same apology Spacey also came out as gay for the first time, infuriating gay-rights activists who viewed his coming out as an attempt to hide from the underlying accusations.

After the release of “Billionaire Boys Club,” Vertical Entertainment released this statement, “This is neither an easy nor insensitive decision to release this film in theaters, but we believe in giving the cast, as well as hundreds of crew members who worked hard on the film, the chance to see their final product reach audiences.” Vertical also noted that they knew releasing the film in the U.S. was a gamble and in response decided to do a limited- release in 10 select theaters, rather than release it across the U.S.

The Billionaire Boys Club is a drama that takes place in 1980’s Los Angeles and is based on the real-life story following a group of young investors that were led by Joe Hunt, played by Ansel Elgort, to get-rich quick with a Ponzi scheme. This led to Joe Hunt and Tim Pratt, Bokeem Woodbine who played the role of the club bouncer and had become involved in the group’s scheme, killing fellow investor, and con-man, Ron Levin, which was played by Spacey and who’s character was a Beverly Hills high-roller. So far, the film has received a 13 percent approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 4.1/10 from eight reviews, which is a far cry from average ratings on films starring Spacey before these allegations came to light.

In fact, this is the worst opening day box-office performance of his career. The question now is: will these allegations and his handling of them immediately after and since, be the end of his acting career or will he get a second chance? Only time will tell if movie-goers return to the box-office as they once did.