Censorship through social media

Devon Greene, Editor-in-chief

Conservative radio host Alex Jones was cleansed from several media outlets last week, after spewing his hateful speech for what seemed like centuries.

During the first week of August, Jones’ show, “InfoWars” was pulled from YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music and Facebook. Jones is a far-right conservative who has been on the airwaves since 1999. He is known for spewing conspiracy theories and promoting fake news.

After the Sandy Hook shooting that occurred in 2012, Jones has consistently promoted the asinine idea that the national tragedy was “completely fake” and “manufactured.”

Jones’ has been spewing hateful rhetoric for decades and I’m glad he finally has to face the consequences of his actions. Jones’ show was removed from all platforms for violating terms of service policies with Apple, Spotify and Facebook all citing their rules against hate speech. The “InfoWars” channel on YouTube had 2.4 million subscribers before it was removed.

Jones still has his Twitter and Instagram accounts where he has been extremely outspoken against his ban from the media. He went on a four-hour rant responding to the Internet and the “censorship” of his show. Conservatives are rallying around the host including the President Donald Trump.

Trump released a series of tweets on Saturday morning claiming discrimination against republican and conservative voices.

“Censorship is a very dangerous thing and absolutely impossible to police.” Trump said. “If you are weeding out Fake News, there is nothing so Fake as CNN and MSNBC, and yet I do not ask that their sick behavior be removed.”

With Trump’s as our leader and his behavior, it is easy to see how people like Jones have a voice and how their behavior has been deemed acceptable.

Trump needs to see that Jones and others that continue to damage relations in this country should be banned from the media. Free speech is obviously a very important right that we have as Americans, but there is a line that must not be crossed. Jones has been warned on multiple occasions for his hate speech against Muslims and transgendered people.

Jones brought this ban on himself and all Americans are better off now that his show is off the air.