Welcome back to Western

London Rivers, Courier Staff

With welcoming faces and new possibilities to come throughout this school year, it’s important to find what works best for you and not what the crowd is into.

As a freshman, I remember how anxious I was to join a new club, meet new friends, or what activities and events to attend each week or weekend. I was trying so hard to keep up with my peers that I began to lose sight of what would truly bring me comfortability. No, I wasn’t worried about fitting in necessarily, but I did want the full college experience of true campus involvement. I found myself joining any and everything, and showing up to the meetings only to never go back. What I thought would interest me proved to be the complete opposite. So, I thought why waste time hoping to later become enthused when I can find things on campus that not only interest me but things that also keep my interest year-round.

Whether this is your first year or your last year, do what makes you honestly happy. With this being the first week back there are going to be clubs, organizations, fraternities and sororities looking to reel you in with their charm which is not a bad thing by the way. However, what you choose to do with your time each day or week is solely dependent on you. It’s fine to try out an interest meeting or two, or 30, but try not to make any final decisions until you’re ready to make the commitment. Make sure whatever you join, you are open to it and it fits your character.

Aside from clubs and activities, academic decisions can make or break the semester as well. Early classes may seem all fun and games now, but when you’re waking up five minutes before class knowing that’s it’s across campus careful reconsiderations may need to take place. What you plan on accmplishing you will definitely be able to accomplish it, so choose your class times wisely if possible. Also, if you believe that you can take on six classes a semester then make it happen. Taking on more classes than recommended may not be for everyone but that doesn’t necessarily mean that applies to you. Only you know what you can handle and what you can tolerate. Just be smart about your decisions because some of them can’t be changed once finalized.

Make your college experience something worth remembering. By that I am not referring to getting arrested or ending up on the front page of the next edition of The WesternCourier for doing something the opposite of positive. Live your best life to the fullest with positive vibes only in mind. Make the most of each day and don’t be afraid to switch it up every now and then. Living the same life every day can get boring sometimes, trust me. So, join a club, meet new people, and attend as many campus events as possible. Just remember it’s not how you start but how you finish.