Fame brings a lot of stress

Emma Johnson, Courier Staff

Fame is something that many people admire, but the harsh reality of what these stars go through is not something to be ignored. With fame comes a lot of stress, pressure and hardship that many of us regular citizens will never experience in our lives.

On April 20, 2018, the Swedish musician, Avicii, was found dead in a luxury farmhouse in Muscat, Oman. At first the cause of his death was unknown, but over the past 10 days his family started voicing out some of the issues Avicii had been facing and it was recently confirmed his death was a suicide.

Avicii, real name Tim Bergling, has been spoken highly upon since his recent death. He has been said to have had a very giving soul and his personality just simply wasn’t made to be in the entertainment business. In 2012, Avicii donated his entire $1 million earnings from his tour that year to the hunger relief charity, Feeding America. The year after, Avicii donated another million to a Swedish aid organization, Radiohjälpen. When asked in an interview about his generosity, Avicii responded, “I discovered when I started making money that I didn’t really need it. When you have such an excess of money you don’t need, the most sensible, most human and completely obvious thing is to give to people in need.”

In 2016, Avicii stopped touring when the stress of his work began to become too much. Avicii turned to alcohol, which caused his friends and family to become concerned that he was overdoing it. It even went as far as him suffering acute pancreatitis, in part due to excessive drinking. Along with the alcohol, it is said that Avicii suffered many mental health issues as well.

When asked to report on Avicii’s death, his family said, “Our beloved Tim was a seeker, a fragile artistic soul searching for answers to existential questions.” They even went on to say, “Our son was not made for the business machine he found himself in”, Instead, “he was a sensitive guy who loved his fans but shunned the spotlight.”

This draws us to the question, is it healthy the amount of stress and pressure we put on the entertainment business? Mental health is a major issue in our society that has long been ignored. The recent school shootings have drawn attention to the issue, but the suicides in our celebrities should also be of concern.

Just yesterday I was scrolling through Twitter when I came across a tweet that read, “Avicii’s death confirmed as suicide, which means everyone will care about mental health for a week then forget about it until another celebrity kills themselves and the cycle continues.” Mental health isn’t an issue to be ignored, and if we want the best for our general health of our people, then it is eventually going to have to be addressed.