Prince releases music from beyond the grave

Conal Duffy, Courier Staff

Prince may have passed away,but he has a new simgle out called “Nothing Compares 2 U.” This may be recognized as a Sinead O’Conner song released in 1990, but Prince recorced it in 1984. He performed it many times live. Listening to Prince’s version, its different than the Sinead O’Conner version in a couple ways. First, Sinead’s vocals are moreintense, and Prince’s version sounds more like his style.

Prince recorded his version in the Flying Cloud Drive Warehouse in Eden Prairie, Minnesota in 1984, according to the official YouTube video by the official Prince channel. The song is a sad song about loss. The lyrics are about losing someone you love and how it feels to be without them. “It’s been seven hours and fifteen days Since you took your love away. I go out every night and sleep all day Since you took your love away.”

If you Google the lyrics to “Nothing Compares 2 U,” O’Connor’s song pops up, and in the small text it says “Songwriter: Prince Rogers Nelson.” Prince is the person who wrote the song. Prince died in April 2016, which means we’ve lived two years without a legend. You could say the lyrics in this song mean a lot to you if you are a huge Prince fan.

It’s awesome to get a new Prince song. Similar to when we got several new Michael Jackson songs after he died with the posthumous album “Xscape”. It seems Prince’s “Nothing Compares 2 U” is a “posthumous” release as well.

As a side note, I’ve heard a lot of people say that they haven’t listened to “XScape,” because they don’t know what it’s all about. The album contains many previously unreleased songs that were recorded in the 80s and 90s. I just thought I’d clear that up so that you may be interested in listening to the album.

This new single adds to the Prince discography an original song. O’Connor’s version and Prince’s are equally good and will be remembered forever.

The video the song accompanies contains footage of Prince and his band, The Revolution, practicing while dancing. Prince is wearing high heels while dancing and singing. There is a part where he does the splits really quick and comes right back up. This move requires a lot of skill. He also grabs the microphone and is still singing into it while doing the splits.

This is why Prince was a legend. His dance moves were cool and so was his music. My favorite albums by him are “1999” and “Purple Rain.” You should check out the song “D.M.S.R.” on the album “1999.” Prince also made the music for the 1989 Batman movie.

The 21st century is a serial killer when it comes to celebrity deaths.

The memories of these musicians will live on in the hearts of music fans. Legends never die!