Kanye West has betrayed his fans

Destiny Kerr, Courier Staff

Everyone has already suspected that Kanye West was a bit of a nut job.

There was the time where he interrupted Taylor Swift’s speech at the 2009 VMAs. As well as his behavioral outbursts during public interviews with people like Sway In the Morning and Ellen Degeneres. He even proclamined himself to be a living god, giving himself the name “Yeezus.” Through all of his crazy antics, West’s fans continued to stay loyal and supportive of him. But after being M.I.A for a couple of months, he came back with some news that no one was expecting, not even for someone like West who is already unpredicatble.

West revealed his political preference last week when he posted a photo on Twitter of him and Donald Trump. West was wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat that he let Trump sign himself. West fans were not only outraged, but felt a sense of betrayal. As someone who has had so much impact in the rap game, it was mind boggling to see him siding with Trump, who is the epitomy of who West once rapped about when he was in his right mind, or at least somewhere close to it.

The problem is not necissarily the fact that he has sided with the Republican Party. He, as well as anyone else has the freedom of political expression. The real problem is that West is behaving as a hypocrite. His rap lyrics send a message of black pride and tells stories about the oppressive circumstances in which he grew up in. Now, he has made the decision to be a Republican. It pretty much feels like everything that West has ever done or said was a lie, and he upheld a false image throughout the majority of his music career.

Other black artists such as John Legend, Snoop Dogg, and Chance the Rapper all had very much to say about West’s revelation. Each person had a different outlook on his decision. West tweeted a screenshot of a text messase that Legend sent to him. In the message, Legend informed West that his fans are so hurt because of how influential he is to the hip-hop legacy, and that Trump’s racist antics should not be supported by someone as important as him. “So many people who love you feel so betrayed right now because they know the harm that Trump’s policies cause, especially to people of color,” Legend said. But West stood firm on his beliefs. It seems like the only thing that hasn’t changed about him is his stubborness. Snoop Dogg also commented on a funny instagram post that depicted West and Trump posing as a married couple, saying that the two are meant for each other and that the movie “Get Out” is really starring West. However, Chance the Rapper, who, like West, is from Chicago, spoke in his defense. He said that not all black people have to be Democrats. But the point is not that West is a Republican, it’s that he had us fooled for so many years, thinking he was on board with the Black Power movement. He has now turned his back on the very people he once had so much compassion for.

Everyone is entitled to their political preferences, but they should all live up to them. Trump, in no way, shape or form, has intentions on uplifting minorities. Not only has West betrayed his fans and his fellow rap comrades, but he has betrayed the black community as a whole.