BOT convenes Today

Nicholas Ebelhack, editor-in-chief

The Western Illinois University Board of Trustees will meet this morning in the University Union Capitol Room at 8 a.m. for the first of their monthly meetings.

At March 23’s meeting, the Board voted to increase their meetings from quarterly to monthly discuss matters pertaining to the university in a more timely manner.

On the agenda, Interim Provost Kathy Neumann will provide an update regarding dual high school credit, an update on employer online degrees and certificates ready for the upcoming fall semester and a report on additional degree programs that will be ready next semester.

Additionally, Vice President for Quad Cities and Planning Joe Rives will also present at the meeting on active military online degrees and certificates that will be available for the upcoming fall semester.

Board of Trustee’s Chair Cathy Early and President Jack Thomas are also expected to give their remarks.

Following reports, a motion to convene to closed session is on the agenda which states that the members me be considering matters pertaining to personnel, collective bargaining, litigation and real estate.

The University Professionals of Illinois Local 4100 chapter, which has been in contract negotiations with the university since December of 2016 and in federal mediation since the fall semester, has created a Facebook event asking it’s membership to attend the meeting in numbers.

UPI members, please turn out to the BOT meeting to let the Trustees know that we’re watching,” reads the post. “Our jobs hang in the balance.”

In a joint press release from UPI and Western last week, the two groups said that they are close to finalizing the specific language contained within the contract but would not disclose any details until language has been approved by both sides following the April 23 mediation session, which members of the UPI and campus community marched to in solidarity.