Leathernecks manhandle Cougars

Alex Dorethy on deck for the Purple and Gold.

Josh Purnell/ Courier Staff

Josh Purnell/ Courier Staff

Michael Harms, Courier Staff

MACOMB, Ill. — Western Illinois did not let the Cougars even come close winning by a score of 8-2.

For the second time this year the Leathernecks went up against the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Cougars and got a dominating win increasing their record to 10-22.

Western got an early lead in the first on some luck. After there was one man on, starting freshman pitcher Brett Taucher walked one, then after an error Western scored on one unearned run. This started the day poorly for the Cougars and it didn’t get better. They escaped in the second inning getting one out on an attempted steal and two strikeouts that kept WIU from scoring. Then the bats for Western could be silenced no longer. Western took advantage of the Cougars lack of pitching depth and went at the first reliever. After Taucher was relieved by sophomore A.J. Johnson they became more aggressive.

It started after junior Bailey Montgomery was walked, redshirt freshman Alex Dorethy singled down the line to put two men on base. Then two batters got hit by pitch bringing in Montgomery for a two-run lead. Then with the bases loaded junior outfielder Drue Galassi singled to the right-side scoring two more. On a fielder’s choice Western scored one more and after the third inning Western was up 5-0.

Freshman Jack Carberry had a decent start not allowing any hits and no runs but was pulled in the third after his third walked batter. The pitching remained strong for WIU and after five innings gave up no hits.

Surprisingly this great pitching was from most of Western’s younger athletes. Carberry is a freshman, Jace Warcentien who pitched two innings and only allowed two hits, is also a freshman. These two started the game off perfectly for the Leathernecks keeping them in the lead and in control.

Montgomery was proud of their performance.

“It’s nice having our young guys come in and get some innings like Jack,“ said Mongomery. “He came in and started the game really well. It’s really good when we just work together and play good baseball.”

Western entered the ninth looking for its second shutout of the season, but could not keep it so. With a man on second and third Jordan Ross singled bringing in two for the Cougars. The game ended one at-bat latter with a final score 8-2.

Star of the game goes to Drue Galassi, who went 3-3 with one walk and one triple. His offensive performance helped bring in two runs and showed the Cougars what Leatherneck baseball is all about. Up next to face the Leathernecks is the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles in a three game road series starting on Friday.