Enjoy your summer break

London Rivers, Courier Staff

With summer right around the corner, it’s important that we don’t waste this precious three-month break that is if you won’t be graduating in May. Of course, it’s typical and recommended for us as students to get summer jobs, and or an occupying internship, but is that all you would want to do after two semesters of hard work, because I sure would hope not. Let’s vow to find something intriguing yet responsible to do for summer break.

Now, I’m not saying go out and try to get arrested or anything crazy, but try something that keeps you occupied and opens your eyes to new wonders of the world. I may sound a bit cliché, but it’s about time that we try to go beyond the standard norm this break. Most students go back home and work their hard-earned positions from previous jobs which is perfectly fine, however how about saving up for part of the summer just to travel or to do something you’ve never done before. It doesn’t have to be traveling across the country, but maybe take a road trip, or travel to a new town. Then again, if traveling to South America is a part of your dream, then make it happen. All I’m saying is you only have one life to live so enjoy it.

As another option, there are crafts such as pottery, or art. Not everyone can imitate Picasso, but how fun would it be to at least try to a certain extent. Besides doodling during class lecture when trying to focus, take those stick figures and hearts to a bigger canvas. Take up pottery and make something so original and artistic that when someone sees it they have to look sideways just to view it, making its creativity pure. Summer is about trying new things, allowing your mind to wonder beyond imagination and making dreams reality. So, after visiting an art museum or two, or sitting in on a couple of art classes you never know, you could be calling yourself an artist one day.

Also, there’s the simple possibility of meeting some new friends to enjoy the summer with. Yes, many of us are so used to our introverted ways, but take the chance and step out of your comfort zone for once to just live a little. Just like heart-felt summer romances, friendships are relationships too and being introduced to a healthy and positive circle of associates can be just what you need to start the summer off right. Friends give each other ideas when their brains are on a hiatus and that’s one of the best ways to limit boredom. Just remember no matter who you meet, friends that nap together stay, together.

There are so many more ideas out there, and if you let you mind sort through the possibilities, a great summer is what’s in store for you. Just please don’t stuff your face with your favorite snacks and movies this summer while it passes you by. Before you know it you’re setting your six alarms for the fall semester again.