Prepare early for your finals

Donnetta Shanklin, Opinions Writer

Finals are right around the corner and it is the most stressful time of the year.

For me the spring semester tends to be a lot harder than the fall semester. April is also the busiest month of the year because that’s when all the assignments are due. Students always think that they are going to complete the assignments before the due date but that’s never the case. As April slowly approaches and comes to an end all the assignments pile up. On top of all the assignments due, finals are just a week later. Having numerous assignments, while stressing over studying can be overbearing for some. Some might not even have time to study for their finals because they are too worried about their assignments. This is something that needs to change.

Cramming is never a healthy thing to do. It can be stressful, cause countless sleepless nights, anxiety and many more things. My first two years of college I struggled with this, but this semester I feel a lot more confident with my finals, because I’ve learned to make study guides. Not every professor gives a student a study guide for their classes, so the best thing to do is to make your own. You shouldn’t start your study guide too late, a few weeks into the semester is fine, but do not wait till April. The best way to do this is to write down what you think is important every time you learn something, and when the test comes, you have something to study. Don’t throw it away. Keep it and add to it every test, and by the time finals come, you have your own study guide to prepare with. This can be beneficial because even if a professor ends up giving you a study guide, you’ll be more prepared for the final, because you might not cover the same topics your professor did.

That may be easier said than done, but it really could pay off in the end. Studying little by little is a lot better for you than studying a lot with a little bit of time. Cramming is not worth it because when you cram you’re not actually learning the material, you’re trying to memorize it for a short amount of time. One could argue that they do that for their general education courses that do not factor into their major, but you won’t really learn anything in the end by doing that. A study guide might not be for every person, but it is just a step. Anything to avoid procrastination and cramming is beneficial to one’s education because in the end they are taking initiative and wanting to learn, wanting to retain and wanting to keep that in their memory.

The simple solution to acing your finals is to not cram. Studying little by little, having a positive outlook and not staying up all night before the exam is how you could potentially ace your finals.