Finish out the school year strong

Karolina Orszulak, Courier Staff

As the school year is quickly coming to an end, we are all excited to get out of the classrooms and be homework free for the summer! If only it was as easy as packing your bag, throwing out all your old papers and hitting the road. Unfortunately, there is a list of things we need to get done before we get to be free for the summer, whether we like it or not.

To start off, the most important thing to accomplish before the year ends is passing your finals. Finals may be hard, but seeing your GPA drop is harder. Some things that I do to prepare myself for finals are grab a jug of coffee, a few of my favorite highlighters and hit the library. Personally, when I study I find myself getting distracted with either my phone or even just my surroundings, which is why I spend time studying by myself, and in the library. If you are like me and need to study alone and in silence, then make sure you hit up the sixth floor of the library before it all fills up. If not, find a quiet spot in one of your favorite buildings on campus. Believe it or not, each building has at least one quiet spot for you to find downtime and study peacefully.

Now that we got the basic and most obvious thing out the way, another thing you need to do before the school ends is sell or return your textbooks. Every semester Western offers to do something called the “Book Buyback” which lets students sell their books at the book store. Buying and selling used books saves paper which means you also save the trees. Not only are you saving trees and paper, you’re saving your wallet from going completely broke! It’ll begin on May 3-4 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., on May 7-10 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and the last day on Friday, May 11, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the university bookstore in the Union. Make sure to stop by and drop off your textbooks to get a few extra dollars back to spend during your summer break.

Now here comes the hardest and longest task that needs to be done before you get to be free from all school work and get your summer started, its packing up your room. I personally despise this part, because it takes forever to do because I have so many things! What can make this task a lot easier is if you go through your things one by one and create a keep, donate and throw out pile. Starting off with your clothes that you brought to school, to all the random things you’ve collected throughout the year. Not only will this make your packing easier since you’ll have less stuff to pack, but it also gives you a fresh clean slate right before you start your summer.

I know we’re all eager to get out of here, do whatever we want and not worry about homework, but don’t forget to finish off the year strong.