Drake breaks his musical silence

Shyanne Thomas, Courier Staff

It’s been over a year since we last received a Drake project, but the time has finally come for another album. Drake has officially announced his newest album, “Scorpion,” with the expected release month of June. However, no official date has been released.

Drake blessed us with “More Life” in March of 2017. In his own words, this wasn’t an album, but merely a playlist. It clearly wasn’t an official album as there were songs that Drake didn’t even appear on. In the final song, “Do Not Disturb”, he ends the playlist on this line: “I’ll be back in 2018 to give you a summary”. We all knew something would be announced this year but it was just a matter of when.

We haven’t had much of a shortage of Drake news, however. Since the release of “More Life,” he released “Signs” in June of 2017 as a collaboration between the 31-year-old rapper and popular fashion company, Louis Vuitton, as part of their Men’s Spring-Summer 2018 fashion show. He also collaborated with the NBA a couple times. He hosted their first-ever NBA Award show, also in June, and appeared in a documentary that chronicled the life and career of NBA superstar Vince Carter.

Towards the end of 2017, pictures emerged of Drake working in the studio with multiple rappers, including Trippie Redd, and snippets of songs were leaked on social media. In January. Drake dropped a surprise mini-EP titled Scary Hours. This EP featured just two songs, “God’s Plan” and “Diplomatic Immunity”. A music video for “God’s Plan” was later released and it touched the hearts of millions. In the video, Drake says he was given nearly a million to film a music video. But rather than spend it on typical music video things, he gave it all away. He did this in a number of ways. He provided a University of Miami student a scholarship of $50,000, entered a grocery store and announced that anything the customers wanted was on him, purchased vehicles for groups, took some women shopping, and even just handed out wads of money to random families. Every last dime was given away.

“God’s Plan” sat on top of the Billboard Hot 100 since its release until he replaced himself on that list. Drake released “Nice For What” in early April and a video to accompany it. The video featured prominent female figures such as Olivia Wilde, Tiffany Haddish, and Emma Roberts. He also appeared on a song with Migos and on another with BlocBoy JB.

Drake has an incredible influence on today’s generation and we all expect “Scorpion” to be a smash hit like his previous four studio albums. Although we don’t have a specific date to look forward to now, we can just be excited for June to arrive and hopefully we will receive an official date before then.

Drake will undoubtedly go down as one of the most influential and entertaining artists we have ever seen and we can assume “Scorpion” will back that up.