KOD is blowing up the charts

Shyanne Thomas, Courier Staff

The self-proclaimed king of rap has nally returned with another album. On April 16, fans became suspicious of Cole because of his social media accounts having a purple prole photo. Later in the day, he announced a surprise free show in New York City, but there were some rules: no phones, cameras or bags. It was rst come, rst serve. After the show, he tweeted “New album. KOD 4/20”. Ladies and gentlemen, KOD is here and let’s decipher it.

KOD has three different meanings: kids on drugs, king overdosed and kill our demons. The album has 12 songs with two of them having a feature from someone named kILL edward. But here’s the twist, this isn’t another person. It’s still Cole but with a distortion in his voice. So technically, this is his third album without a feature.

The first song is an intro, which sets up the whole album. A female voice is heard speaking over a jazzy beat saying to choose wisely on how you deal with pain or other things. When the first actual song, “KOD” plays, it is very clear that this is an entirely new Cole. The beat features a trap beat with Cole’s rhyme scheme completely changing from his traditional style. With the three meanings Cole provided us, we can categorize this song as being rapped by King Overdosed because of the lyrics.

“Photograph” comes next. This song discusses how social media has completely changed dating. People find love by swiping right on people rather than finding someone in person. After the first three songs, it’s obvious Cole is addressing issues in today’s society once again.

The first feature of kILL edward follows in “The Cut Off”. Here, he discusses how he had to lose a few friends because they were using him. In “ATM” and “Motiv8”, Cole talks about his relationship with his money. A music video has also been released for “ATM” and provides more insight on the song meaning. “Kevin’s Heart” is sung in the perspective of someone in love with drugs and he relates that to cheating on a partner. Fans speculate that the title is a play on the name of actor Kevin Hart and how he was unable to remain faithful in his relationship.

“BRACKETS” is a more political song. He talks about taxes and how taxpayers should be able to choose where their money goes. “Once an Addict (Interlude)” talks about Cole’s mother and her struggle with alcoholism. In “FRIENDS”, he tackles the issues on drugs and provides reasons as to why people should stop doing them and how harmful and detrimental they can be. “Window Pain (Outro)” features a little girl talking about how her cousin was shot and killed. Cole discusses what he wants in life and what he wants for people around him. In the final song, “1985 (Intro to the Fall Off),” Cole addresses today’s rappers. He gives them advice on how to earn their money and how to keep their spot in the rap game.

Overall, KOD did not disappoint. Its overall message is strong and clear. Drugs do nothing but harm to people and their relationships with others. Cole experimented with trap beats and a new rhyme scheme and in my opinion it was a successful attempt. We had to wait a year and a half for a new Cole album so let the new wait begin. But in the meantime, let us listen to his record on repeat and enjoy it.