It’s no secret why we go to war

Juan Casas, Courier Staff

What is war good for? Depending on your political views it is either good for absolutely nothing or everything.

Whether the war in the Middle East has already been fought and won or fought and lost is also dependent on a person’s political views. What isn’t dependent on political views is the truth. Mainstream media would have the entire world believing that the increasing call for war is on behalf of the children of Syria, who were brutally killed using chemical weapons, but to get to the real unbiased truth let us start by examining the last two wars that the United States has waged in the region, Afghanistan and Iraq.

After Sep. 11, 2001, there was no doubt that war was certain, what wasn’t certain was how to wage that war against Al-Qaeda. How could such a large and modern military power like the United States Armed Forces find and destroy such a well-hidden, and well-organized guerilla style fighting force like Al-Qaeda? The problem wasn’t necessarily finding them; the problem was what to do when they were found across various nations in the Middle East? Especially if those countries were either negligent or outright supportive of the terrorist organization.

International law prohibits direct military intervention or aggression against any country unless there is a direct national security threat. So, to prevent international outcry, the United States needed to declare a direct threat to national security that was stemming from those very countries where Al-Qaeda was stationed. Weapons of mass destruction are a very direct threat that demands immediate military intervention in defense of national security. There has never been any concrete evidence that Afghanistan, the Iraq government or Al-Qaeda for that matter ever had access to weapons of mass destruction. Yet, we went to war to destroy Al-Qaeda and destroy Al Qaeda we did.

Looking at the past to wars the United States participated in and the reasons or excuses used to circumvent international law there remains one solid question that needs answering. Why would the United States attack the Syria Regime for using chemical weapons on their own people? The part of a national threat to the security of the United States is clearly missing here. ISIS has already been defeated and just a few weeks ago President Trump announced his plans for the withdrawal of the remaining military forces from Syria. Yet, to answer the important question of why the president has not withdrawn and instead has revamped the military in the region requires a comprehensive look at the region known as the Middle East.

There is no doubt that Middle Eastern countries sit on some of the largest oil reserves in the entire world. There is also no doubt that just about all major countries in the world want those oil fields. Britain, Russia, France and the United States are but a few countries that have in the past or currently are militarily involved in the region. Finally, there is no doubt that Syria is the gateway to those oil reserves that connect the Middle East to the trading routs of the Mediterranean. As it currently stands, Russia and Syria have successfully defeated the Syrian rebels that are backed economically and militarily by the United States and are but a few weeks away of declaring total victory.

If this occurs, Russia will have a solid grip on the oil fields and the trade route for those oil reserves. The real reason that a War with Syria appears just about imminent is the same reason as it always has been; it’s for the oil.