Macomb’s 3rd annual “Foos For Family” is coming soon

Josh Bowling, Courier Staff

The third annual human foosball tournament titled “Foos For Family” will take place in Macomb’s Memorial Park on April 29 from 3-7 p.m

The event will be hosted by Macomb Park District, Western Illinois University faculty and staff and the Center for Youth and Family Solutions (CYFS). All proceeds from the event will benefit the CYFS.

“The game is played just like foosball except instead of plastic people, they are humans. We use foam wrapped PVC pipe to separate the players just like in regular foosball,” CYFS outreach supervisor Carrie Depoy said.

Western students in RPTA 467, an event planning and management course taught by Assistant Professor Jeremy Robinett, will be responsible for working, planning and promoting the event. The event will provide good experience for the students in the class.

“Macomb Park District provides space, a registration site and the equipment and because the CYF is a nonprofit organization the event has non-profit tax status,” Robinett said. “CYFS also provides us with contacts and help from its friends and donors. And Western’s RPTA students provided their labor and knowledge they were gaining in class to a practical, community-based activity.” The CYFS raises funds and awareness for the needs of families in the local community.

“This event helps us raise funds for items like school supplies, winter coats, activity fees, haircuts, hygiene products, cleaning items, fuel cards to attend counseling and many other everyday needs,” Depoy said. “Without the generosity of our donors, Foos for Families wouldn’t be possible. We’re very appreciative of their support. We are a 100 percent non-profit organization and are thankful for all the community support.”

The tournament will have teams of six to eight people that will play on an enlarged foosball field against another team. This will be the third annual running of the event. “The first and second Foos for Families tournaments were wonderful ways to raise funds, even though we got rained out last year,” Robinett said. “We’re excited that Campus Recreation has agreed to serve as our rain location this year, so come rain or shine, we’ll be playing. Over the last two years, we’ve raised a significant amount of money for the CYFS and have more than 30 sponsors.”

The cost of registering a team is $40. You can register a team online at macombparkdistrict.com.