Post Malone hiatus is over

Shyanne Thomas, Courier Staff

After waiting a year and five months, Post Malone fans everywhere will finally have a new album to put on repeat. Post Malone announced a release date for his second studio album via Twitter.

He titled it “Beerbongs & Bentleys” back in February of 2017. The original release was supposed to be in December of 2017, but was pushed back to 2018. He changed his Twitter name to match the album title and it still remains the same to this very day.

The 22-year-old has not released an album since his breakout album, “Stoney,” back in December of 2016. “Stoney” debuted at No. 6 on the Billboard 200 and, only ten months after the release, was certified double platinum.

“I Fall Apart” was the sixth single released off the album and still sits on the Billboard Hot 100. Since the release of “Stoney,” Malone went on the “Stoney Tour” in late 2017, which was a 30 show tour that included a show in Canada and one in Mexico.

While on tour, he released a single titled “rockstar,” which featured 21 Savage. It peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and remained at the top for eight straight weeks until its reign finally came to an end. The music video for “rockstar” premiered two months later in November and prompted a lot of speculation about his upcoming album.

In February, “Psycho” featuring Ty Dolla Sign was released and peaked at No. 2. At the same time, he also announced a tour with 21 Savage that begins at Coachella 2018 and ends in August in France.

On April 5, Post finally gave us an official release date of April 27 for “Beerbongs & Bentleys.” The long drought of not having a new Post Malone album is finally close to coming to an end and let us all rejoice. It is clear that he has been hard at work since his last album and we must continue being patient for just a little while longer.

What can we expect from this album? Well, it’s hard to say. We know he loves a vast array of music genres so we could most likely expect a mix of genres on the album.

The title could be aimed at his post-“Stoney” success and where he currently stands as a musician. He had once stated that he thought his first album was “mediocre,” even with the certifications and Hot 100 appearances.

There is no official tracklist or any other details other than the release date and the two singles we’ve heard. With that being said, we must listen with an open mind and not compare it to his first album. It is very common for people to question why an artist’s music sounds different on another album.

If an artist released music that always sounded the same, we would be unable to see their growth as a musician. This is a very important thing to remember and not only goes for Post Malone, but all musicians.