Starfield Bethesda’s possible new game

Conal Duffy, Courier Staff

Bethesda Game Studios is the video game company responsible for the Fallout series and The Elder Scrolls series, including the popular 2011 video game “The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim.” Bethesda had a rough time at E3 2017. E3, the Electronic Entertainment Expo, is an annual event in which the biggest game companies have big press conferences in which they reveal new games, software and hardware. At E3 2018, we could expect a great performance from Bethesda. This is because they may release a new video game called “Starfield.”

There is some speculation as to what this video game could even be about. Following the style and format of other games released by this company, we can predict that this new game will probably be an open-world role-playing game set in space. This sounds like an ambitious project.

All we know about the game right now is a trademark filed by ZeniMax Media, the company that owns Bethesda Game Studios. The trademark for “Starfield” was filed in 2016 and approved in 2018 according to JUSTIA Trademarks.

Other games made by this company have been set in a single large area. Skyrim took place in a fantasy world called Tamriel. “Fallout 4” took place in post-apocalyptic Boston and the surrounding area. However, outer space is way bigger than these previously used open-world areas.

It seems that Bethesda always tries to push the boundaries of what is possible in gaming. “Starfield,” if set in a whole galaxy or region of space, would be a huge game.

Leaks that involve trademarks have surfaced before. Some of them are fake. For example, “Fallout: New Orleans” was completely fake yet it stirred the hype for a little bit last year.

“Fallout 4” was a great game but there were some things people did not like about it. Some said the dialog system was too simplified. Others said the game was too much shooting and less of an RPG.

Let’s hope Bethesda has a good E3 2018. They had a good performance in 2015 when they announced “Fallout 4.” “ The Elder Scrolls VI “could still be a ways off because of the potential announcement of “Starfield.”

Bethesda is known for having long periods of time between game releases. “The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion,” was released in 2006, and “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” was released in 2011. “Fallout 3” came out in 2008, “Fallout: New Vegas” came out in 2010, and “Fallout 4” came out in 2015. It’s been seven years since “Skyrim” came out, so usually this is the time when we would expect the announcement of “The Elder Scrolls VI.” However, if “Starfield” turns out to be a large-scale RPG like Elder Scrolls and Fallout are, we may have to wait another couple years for the next Elder Scrolls game.

If Bethesda can manage to get by with developing two huge game franchises and releasing their iterations once in a long while, I wonder how they will be able to manage developing three of them.

I imagine “Starfield” will have a lot of backstory and lore, which would attract a large fan base of players to the game. Fans of Bethesda games are patient, but how patient can they be if the time between big game releases is longer?