Cardi B drops new album

Shyanne Thomas, Courier Staff

For the past week, the 25-year-old American rapper, Cardi B (Belcalis Almanzar), has felt nothing but love from all of her fans after dropping her first studio album, “Invasion of Privacy.” Personally, I am not a die hard Cardi B fan, but I could not get over the story behind her lyrics and the catchy beats of her songs.

The world was not fully introduced to Cardi B until 2017 when her hit song “Bodak Yellow” flooded the mainstream media. “Bodak Yellow” became the anthem for women because of the underlying message of female empowerment. This record peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 100 and remained there for three consecutive weeks. It was certified by the Recording Industry Academy of America (RIAA) for being platinum five times.

Following the release of “Motorsport” and “No Limit,” Cardi B found herself among an elite company as she became the third artist to have three top 10 songs simultaneously. The other two artists to achieve this accomplishment were The Beatles and Ashanti (“Cardi B Joins The Beatles & Ashanti With First 3 Hot 100 Hits in Top 10 Simultaneously; Ed Sheeran & Beyonce’s ‘Perfect’ No. 1”). Since her recent popularity, she was on the Hot 100 Chart once again as she was featured on Bruno Mars’ remix of “Finesse.”

“Invasion of Privacy” is not just about one topic, but a range of topics from her current relationship with Migos member, Offset, to her newly-found fame. The album boasts 13 tracks with features such as SZA, Chance the Rapper, 21 Savage, Migos and more. The overall theme of Cardi B’s new album seems to be about self-empowerment as she is opening up to her audience, hence the title “Invasion of Privacy.”

Cardi B proves she belongs on today’s list of great rappers, female or not, throughout the entirety of the album. Due to the popularity of “Bodak Yellow,” “ Invasion of Privacy” was eligible to be certified gold even before it was released. Following the release of “Invasion of Privacy,” Cardi B became the first ever co-host on “The Tonight Show” with Jimmy Fallon.

After just one week of the album’s release, Cardi B achieved 100,000,000 streams on Apple Music and broke the record for most streamed album by a female artist in one week, surpassing Taylor Swift. Rolling Stone Magazine gave the album a four star rating out of five. Writer, Rob Sheffield, of Rolling Stone proclaimed that this album is, “lavishly emotional, intimately personal, wildly funny,” and also stated that this album proves Cardi B is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Many people worry that Cardi B is just a one-hit wonder, but she continues to succeed on the charts. We can expect that she’ll be around for awhile since she is only 25-years-old. This was Cardi B’s first major album and it sure will not be her last.