WrestleMania 34 is one to remember

Evan Williamson, Courier Staff

Last weekend the Big Easy one again hosted Wrestlemania week, a five-day event that included multiple fan events, the Hall of Fame induction ceremony, NXT Takeover, Wrestlemania 34, and the best RAW and SmackDown Live events of the year.The event everyone is talking about is, of course, WrestleMania which was on April 8, 2018 and was over a 7 hour long event.

The fifth match of the evening (second on the main show) featured “The Queen” Charlotte Flair versus the undefeated “Empress of Tomorrow” Askua for the SmackDown Women’s Championship.

Before WrestleMania, this match was one that I thought would steal the show. The match started off slow like a traditional match as they locked up a few times, then the match started to heat up a little bit.

The match featured a lot of counters, the best one was Asuka reversing Charlotte’s moonsault by catching her in a triangle choke hold, the best counter to a top rope move I have ever seen. Both competitors told a great story in an emotional battle. They also did a huge high-risk spot off the top rope (look up Charlotte- Spanish Fly). It was a back and forth match that had me on the edge of my seat. At the end of it, all Charlotte retained her championship as she gave Asuka her first defeat.

The one thing I hated about this match was that they kept interrupting by showing John Cena in the crowd. Then at the end of the match while celebrating they showed a referee telling Cena something resulting in him running up the ramp past a celebrating Charlotte which was really out of place and I actually found it insulting. A couple matches later, the match that we had been waiting for since WrestleMania 31, “Rowdy” Ronda Rousey made her in-ring debut teaming up with Kurt Angle to take on Triple H and Stephanie McMahon.

Expectations for the match were relatively low due to this being Rousey’s first match. The match went beyond anybody’s expectations. It featured classic and comedic heel tactics, as they built up the anticipation of Rousey getting tagged in by teasing it for multiple minutes. During this time, Angle showed that he could still compete as he and Triple H kept the match in motion.

Every time McMahon got involved and Rousey was stopped by the referee, the anticipation just continued to grow. After six minutes, Rousey was tagged in and the roof of the Superdome almost came off. Now running the ropes is one of the most difficult things to do in pro-wrestling it also really bruises you up if you are not used to it, with that being said, Rousey bounced off the ropes even better than some of the veterans resulting in a perfect clothesline.

She transitioned well and took her fair share of bumps as well. She did a few spots with Triple H including giving him a hurricanrana which is impressive for a newbie. At the end of the match, Ronda Rousey forced McMahon to tap to her devastating arm bar.

She did great in her first match and I hope that she really will be a full-time superstar including being at house shows. Later in the night, The Undertaker returned to take on Cena in an impromptu match, in what was the dumbest thing ever, and here’s why; Last year at WrestleMania Undertaker lost to Roman Reigns. It is common for a veteran to go out on his back putting over young talent.

It made sense that you could have built the Universal Championship match, (the main event of the evening) around the only two people to beat the Undertaker at WrestleMania. Another thing is that last year the Undertaker left his hat, coat and gloves in the ring before going to ringside and kissing his wife (breaking character for the first time ever). That would have been a perfect ending. But for some reason, they decided to have Cena, who is turning into the Rock, face him.

The only thing that would make sense would have been to have the Undertaker return as the American Badass persona that he dawned from 2000-2003. They did not do that, Undertaker came back as the Deadman and beat Cena in a squash match that was the shortest Undertaker match in WrestleMania history. Now the Undertaker and Cena won’t be seen for a while (at least after the big Saudi Arabia event April 27, 2018). That was the only match I had a problem with.

Overall the show was good. I was disappointed in the WWE Championship match, only because I had high expectations for it, and the RAW Women’s Championship match was good. I will say this though WWE has a reputation for being predictable but this year there were matches that everyone thought they knew what was going to happen, but ended up being surprised multiple times.