Western hosts mock DUI

Today Western Illinois University faculty and students, area high school students, and members of the community are welcomed to watch a scene unfold at a mock drunk driving accident.

Minus Muffler, an auto repair and towing business in Macomb, will provide wrecked vehicles for the event. In order to make the event look as real as possible, the District 14 Illinois State Police, the Macomb Police Department, the Macomb Fire Department and the McDonough County Sheriff’s Department will all help with the project.

Taking it a step further, Air Evac Lifeteam will fly a helicopter into the scene and Eric Jameson, McDonough County Coroner, will also respond to the scene.

The goal of presenting such a graphic and realistic scene is to show the public the risks that are involved when getting behind the wheel intoxicated. Also aiding with the scene are emergency personnel from a volunteer student organization titled the “Western Illinois University Emergency Medical Services” (WEMS), as well as Western’s Office of Public Safety (OPS).

Giving his thoughts about the scene’s intentions was OPS Corporal and WEMS Advisor Ted Anderson.

“This event provides a realistic scene related to drunk driving and its horrific consequences,” Anderson said, “We hope this provides that perspective on just what can unfold… and quickly… and how emergency and law enforcement personnel work together to save lives.”

The mock DUI event, which has been presented for the last 26 years, can be seen in the southwest portion of Macomb’s Q-Lot at 10 a.m. Contact OPS at (309) 298-1949 or Western’s EMS office at (309) 298-2863 for more questions.