New major to be offered Fall 2018

Marc Ramirez, Assistant News Editor

Western Illinois University was recently approved by the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) to offer a new Bachelor of Business in business analytics, which is to be offered beginning of the Fall 2018 semester.

Offered by the Department of Economics and Decision Sciences, the new degree includes a combination of business core with data mining, forecasting and computer programming. The program has been designed for students who are interested in combining business training with data analytics. This science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) course is the only recognized Bachelor of Business at Western and is the first in the state of Illinois.

Tara Feld, associate professor of Economics and interim department chair, spoke on the topic and believes that this degree will benefit students when it comes to interpreting and drawing inferences from qualitative data and will allow them the opportunity to communicate their findings effectively.

Graduates of this program will be well-suited to pursue careers in almost any field of business, as well as in science, technology, computer science, health care, government and education,” Feld said.

The Department of Economics and Decision Sciences believes they are proudly invested in ensuring a prosperous and ongoing success for their students even after they walk across the stage at commencement.

“This new program is meant as an enduring step toward that goal,” Feld said. “We encourage all interested students to contact the economics and decision sciences department about careers in business analytics, consider registering for DS200 [Introduction to Business Analytics] and to discuss the opportunities with your academic advisors.”