Baseball sets eyes on Cougars

Deion Thompson sprints his way to second base.

Angel Strack/ Courier Staff

Angel Strack/ Courier Staff

Brendan Reidy, Courier Staff

Macomb, Ill. – The Western Illinois Fighting Leathernecks (6-19) will face off against the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Cougars (7-22) on Wednesday in Edwardsville, Illinois.

The two teams have struggled greatly this year with both teams posting sub-par records. Both programs are looking to get their season back on track with a big victory on Wednesday. The Leathernecks are coming off a big weekend after winning a conference series against Oral Roberts two games to one. The Purple and Gold now have a 6-6 record in Summit League play and are currently tied in fourth place with North Dakota State University. The Cougars of SIUE are currently riding a four-game losing streak and are coming off a three-game series sweep against Eastern Kentucky University.

Western Illinois University will look to keep up their extraordinary pitching and hitting into their matchup against SIU-E. Ian Koch and Ryan Dunne lead the way for the Leathernecks on the mound. Both pitchers are putting up flashy numbers this year on the mound and look to keep their momentum going strong till the end of the season. Koch currently ranks sixth in the conference with a 3.94 ERA. In 45.2 innings of play, he has 42 strikeouts, which ranks third best in The Summit League, with two wins. Dunne, on the other hand, displays his dominance through the form of strikeouts. He currently sits atop the Summit League in strikeouts and has eclipsed his previous career-high with 10 Ks versus Oral Roberts this past weekend.

The pitching is not the only thing that has been magnificent for the Leathernecks. Their bats have been heating up as of late. In the batter’s box, they are led by Alex Dorethy and Deion Thompson. Dorethy is in the midst of a seven-game hitting streak and recorded 10 hits this weekend with five RBIs while batting a superb .556 average.

Thompson has been the focal point for the Leatherneck offense all season long. He’s hit .273 on the year, and leads the team in RBIs, runs and hits. Western Illinois University will need to keep up their dynamic offense if they would like to start a winning streak on Wednesday.

SIU-E has been very inconsistent all year long. However, they are led by pitcher Kenny Serwa who has been the most consistent player for the Cougars this season. Serwa has been dominate on the mound throughout the season and has posted an impressive ERA of 3.74 to go along with 33 strikeouts.

Despite only having two wins on the season, the Cougars will have to rely on Serwa to help them get the victory on Wednesday. The first pitch is at 6:30 p.m.

Twitter: BrendanReidyII