Necks get back on Track

Josh Kirby clears his way over the hurdles.

Bradley Piros, Courier Staff

MACOMB Ill. – The Western Illinois track and field teams will finally get back to competition after two weeks of terrible weather and indoor practice. They were scheduled to compete in their one and only home meet last week in the Lee Calhoun Memorial, however it was cancelled due to the weather.

So, the last time out was back in March, about a week and a half ago, when they traveled to Cape Girardeau, Missouri to take part in the Joey Haines Invite, hosted by University of South East Missouri. The women finished third out of ten schools, and the men sixth.

It also saw four Leathernecks achieve new PR’s in their respected events, which made head coach Diane Wholey very satisfied.

“I am very pleased with the athletes that set personal bests or matched their personal bests, particularly with it being the second meet of the outdoor season and the second meet we have dealt with adverse weather.” Wholey said.

It was another meet of windy and rainy conditions, as no runner will post good times in such circumstances. Wholey, along with the rest of her team is hoping it will start to feel like spring this weekend.

They’ll be traveling to Normal, Illinois to compete in the Redbird Invite hosted by Illinois State. The Leathernecks are ready to start winning these meets. They haven’t clinched first place in a meet, rather having multiple new PR’s and school records broke instead.

Either way, in thier last meet in Cape Girardeau, the Leathernecks finished rather in the middle of the pack. No one was able to pick up an individual victory to help out their side, but a couple of close finishes and lots of new records.

Two Leathernecks were able to notch second place finishes as senior Raytoria Richardson ran a time of 26.17 seconds in the 200-meter dash, while sophomore Josh Kirby ran 15.55 in the 110-mmeter hurdles; both contestants finishing in second.

Freshman Nick Olson had himself a day in the field events as he came out with two new PR’s of his own in both discus and the javelin throw. He came in second in the former with a throw of 36.48 meters and finished mid-pack (50.30 meters) in the latter.

Sophomore Michaela Busch accomplished other defeats in the field events as she finished fifth in the long jump (5.58 meters). Coming in at fourth right before her was her junior teammate Jasmine Brown, who jumped a mark of 5.74 meters. Busch later placed third in the 100-meter hurdles as well (15.41 seconds) to round out her day.

Junior Darius Patterson kept things rolling with two PR’s. First in the 200-meter dash, where he placed fifth (22.93 seconds) and then later in the 100-meter where he finished in seventh (11.03 seconds).

In the end, personal records are great and all, but Western needs to start coming in first and winning some meets; and the Redbird Invite is a great place to get things going. After lots of disappointment in not getting to perform in front of their home crowd, each athlete is coming out with a little chip on their shoulder to kick start the remainder of the season.

Twitter: bradjp08